Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Rick, we lost power a couple days ago and after it came back

Customer Question

Hi Rick, we lost power a couple days ago and after it came back on the tv wont turn on. It can get power but it just makes the noise of turning on and off but the screen doesnt come on
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure it has short circuited and I'm guessing I will have to take the back of the TV off to fix it? It's an LG 60PK550. I cant get it to a technician because I live in a rural area and the closest one is at least 2 hours away
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tabitha and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. With the indulgence of Rick and should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, would the "...makes the noise of turning on and off..." be clicking sounds?

Still, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, most likely suspect would be the power supply circuit similar to the product offered HERE. Depending on the version/board number, there may be repair kits available for the power supply board such as those shown HERE.

Either of the above repair approach would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.