Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Toshiba TV cycle through off and on by itself.

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions like the TV's model numberso could you please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
toshiba Model 40VL20
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you there?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes , not a typing machine here but a tv tech. you have to give me time to type

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You said that all the boards inside were replaced, I would take it that we are talking about the MAIN board POWER SUPPLY board and then possibly the T-con and LED backlight inverter board if separate from the power supply .

Can you confirm any of those boards or you simply don`t know which ones ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Was this all done under warranty ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main board and the Power suppy have been changed outside warranty I paid for them
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k and those were the last boards replaced , is that correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kindly also not that when I changed the power point the TV worked for 3 months without any problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Power supply board was replaced last
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was getting to that and to tell you frankly this does not make much sense unless there is an electrical problem in your house .

Correct me if I`m wrong but the electrical supply where you are is 220 volts ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To detail it further... when the problem started- main board was changed tv worked for 25 days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
220V India
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When problem reappeared then again main board was changed and tv worked fine for about 25 days
When problem reappeared then the power board was changed the tv worked fine for about 25 days
When problem reappeared then I just to check changed the power point, the tv start working fine without changing any board. It worked fine for 3 months and now again same problem reappeared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Change power point means I put the plug in different power source (I am not technical so just wanted to be sure
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Right now none of it make much sense as far as troubleshooting goes unless there is an inherent problem with this model , something like a manufacturer`s defect that either gets corrected by some software update or replacement parts update.

Difficult to say which of the boards is the culprit here but one would be tempted to say that the power board is the problem if that disappeared after switching power outlet ???

Now you are telling me the main board replacement also worked ???

Even more puzzling

Now what I would have as a suggestion is this ;

This tv can operate on multi-system and voltages and pulls only 149 watts so what I would suggest is for you to buy a step down transformer that can handle 200 watts + and run the tv on 120 volts to see if that will make any changes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure I will do that I shall update you
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

That one is 300 watts but anything above 250 watts will be fine if you connect only the tv on it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then let me know and we`ll take it from there

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry THANKS
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , as this could take a while could you please use the rating system now so I get compensated for my time with you and in any case you can come back here at any time after rating at no extra costs if you have questions, even 6 months from now if needed .

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried step down transformer 220 to 120 but the problem remains
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

In that case one of those 2 boards went defective again and it means parts replacement again .

If you are up to that the start with the power board again but to tell you frankly I would consider looking at other TV's

Not sure how much you paid for those boards but I can tell you that you can get a new 40" tv nowadays for around 250 to $300

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thanks for the advice but in India it will be above $800
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but this would call for meters and voltage monitoring and obviously I can`t do that , I will opt out and repost your question , may be someone here will have an idea

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem , standby

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) is to make use of a voltage regulator. The idea is to stabilize the input voltage even before it enters the Toshiba. This would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.

If still not corrective, then yes; it would be an internal hardware issue (again).

Please click HERE for such a product,

Post back results / observations of the above once tried.