Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an RCA DTM70R Portable TV, reason it stopped picking

Customer Question

I have an RCA DTM70R Portable TV, for some reason it stopped picking up over the air TV stations. When I go to the menu and scan for stations it says "FINDING RF Stations" but on the next line below it's supposed to indicated how many found and when it's done scanning it doesn't find anything like "0 found". When turn TV on it says NO SIGNAL.
How can I fix this. It's just a regular 7" portable TV plug into the wall and watch. Not hooked up to any cable, just an antenna it came with
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you happen to have access to any other antenna you could try connecting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband has tried that, and he also added extra piece of cable onto the end of the antenna to
see if that would help.. To no avail.. Help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Nathan are your there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm here, but it takes a few minutes to type out a detailed response. Please give me a moment, as I lose everything I'm working on each time you reply, and have to start all over.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That is new information, thank you for providing it.

This unfortunately leaves only the possibility of an internal hardware failure. This means that the tuner card/chip inside the tv has failed.

This problem is very common with these units. These RCA tvs are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum, they are built with the cheapest possible components, and have very short service lives. Especially for portable equipment, it is rare for these devices to last more than a year or two, which is really all they are designed for. They are essentially built to be disposable.

Fixing this situation would not be feasible - rca provides no support for their products in any form, there are no parts available, and labor costs would be easily double the value of the unit. You could replace it with a brand new one for under $75, which is really the only feasible option here: http://amzn.to/1QKF62L

You could also connect it to an external tuner to replace the failed internal part, if it will be stationary. Those are about $30, but require power and would not be suitable for portable use. If you'd like more info on that option, let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.