Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My pioneer sc-05 will not power up only a blinking red light

Customer Question

my pioneer sc-05 will not power up only a blinking red light
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The shut down is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

Let me know the results,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didnt work i repair electrical forklifts an other modules so im familiar with electronics what part of the amplifier would I be looking at with a problem exists and could test
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I didn't expect it to help, it is more of a diagnostic process.

This indicates an internal fault, which is almost always a dc offset condition, meaning voltage is leaking at components within the amplifier output stage.

Test for dcv on the terminal pairs of each speaker when trying to turn on and see what you find. Some offset is normal, anything over about 100mv is going to trigger the protection, and then you're looking at the amp components for that channel.

I will caution you up front though that the biggest issue you'll face here is finding parts. This is getting to be a pretty old model (2008) at this point and is past its service life already, so all components are long discontinued. In general if this receiver was presented for repairs in a shop, it would be considered a replace not a repair situation, as replacement would be more cost effective (as well as updating to newer technology like 4k, hdcp2, etc).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really thats crazy that these newer unit are like on a time bomb.you spend almost $2000 for it an it last maybe ten years i got a old marantz thats from the 70s it still work . But anyways i have about ten newr receceivers some pioneers i could swap conponants if i knew which ones were bad . Ill do that test an hit u back in a little while
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Components are generally not considered interchangeable, they don't have the same specs and many of the potential failure points here are integrated circuits.

It is unfortunate, but that is the way these are built these days. An 8 year service life is the expected span for these units though.