Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Pioneer plasma tv (Model PDP 5016HD) that quit

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer plasma tv (Model PDP 5016HD) that quit working last week. The front of the tv is blinking an alternate red and blue light but there is not any audio or video. I checked the HDMI connects but they are okay. I also bought a new HDMI cable but still get the same result. The cable tv feed is good since I hooked up another of our TVs and it works fine. Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! We are now connected together on this convenient website. I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority.

Even if you have tried unplugging the tv, please complete the following at least one time:

-disconnect ALL audio/video cables from tv.

-unplug the tv power cord from the wall.

-press and hold the power button on the tv for 20 seconds and release button.

-plug in the tv power cord only and try to power on.

If the red/blue blinking problem continues then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, checks need to be performed, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can help you (a meter and some previous electronics experience is required). If you are unable or unwilling to perform these operations then a repair shop should be consulted, if you provide your zip code I can give you a list of local servicers.

I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to say "thank you" :-)

In keeping with the design of this website, please be sure to click the 5 STARS or SMILEYS rating now. Doing so does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

I understand news of a failure is upsetting but clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the reset with the power and audio/visual cables detached but got the same red/blue lights. I've pulled the back cover off but don't see anything obvious (except a lot of dust). I'm not an electronics guru but I am a pretty sharp handyman. What do you suggest?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I am away from my desk right now. Have to get back to you later today.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I hope you did not plug in the power cord while the back was off the tv! Doing so puts the tv into TRAP mode and a complex sequence with the original remote is needed to get out of TRAP mode.

Before you go any further, you want to get a hint of where the issue is by counting the pattern of blue/red blinks. That will give you a starting point.

Both of the above are explained in the Technical Manual- CLICK HERE FOR MANUAL

Lastly, any repairs you might do will be replacing entire boards, not components on boards. The boards are VERY hard to find in stock and therefore can be expensive.