Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have toshiba 42 inch tv it turns on but only audio

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue, please reply this message to proceed further.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only sky box, the problem happens 50% of the time. I turn on tv the green light come on, I hear audio but no video, I redo, redo redo then-it comes on
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, does any graphics/ menu options appear if press menu button on TV remote while having sound in TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the menu dont come on but the volume button works
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK - Have you tried to unplug TV and Sky box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I do that it will probably come on, but after some time it will do it again. As I said if I keep turning the power button on and off it eventually comes on and the scree light up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had even replaced the power cable.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'm still waiting for model number info, can you get me the model number written on back of TV to get related manual for troubleshooting purpose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok 42AV500U
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Is the problem getting worse day by day?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Does screen glow/ show backlight while no picture appear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had it 8 yrs not worse day by day, screen dont glow or backlight, I thought maybe power source where it is plugged in but tried other source. It seems to happen despite the kind of input. cable box etc.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info, it seems backlight inverter board problem which stop working for some internal issue, please shine a good flashlight at screen bit closely while no picture appears but have sound, do you observe any faint image inside screen?

If so then it would be backlight inverter board related problem and either inverter board isn't getting volts from power supply board or has internal failure. Please check 24V with multimeter at P203 connector at power supply board, if volts are available then swap backlight inverter board which will help to resolve the problem. Please click following link to view backlight inverter board image that will help to locate it in TV..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-6632l-0503a-top.jpg

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no faint image. I change input from remote but still no light, how much I have to pay you
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, it could be main board issue as well, main board is one that has all video inputs, please check 24V output at power supply board to eliminate the power board then left tow suspected boards, backlight inverter board and main board. Please click following board supplier link to get required board..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42AV500U

Please contact customer service at***@******.*** for billing info, however, it seems you have paid $28 for this question. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi, do you still need any further assistance with it?

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.