Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

We have a Mitsubishi dlp wd 73838. We bought a new Yahmaha

Customer Question

We have a Mitsubishi dlp wd 73838. We bought a new Yahmaha receiver because one of our zones went out. The TV and receiver were purchased in Nov. 2010. The problems began after Best Buy came out to hook up the Yahmaha receiver. Now the video (menu, non-cable channels, cable channels) turns to a bluish-green and flickers, almost strobe-like. I wonder if the Best Buy guys didn't ground something or used bad cables or plugged something into HDMI that shouldn't be plugged in there. Two days after they left, I heard a loud pop and the lamp had gone bad (we had no picture at all). We had a spare lamp and a neighbor put that in for us (he doesn't know that much about TVs but we watched a Youtube video and got the job done). The bluish-green flickers started about two days after we put the new lamp in.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! We are now connected together on this convenient website. I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority.

Since the tv menu is also affected, this isn't going to be related to the HDMI connections. The symptoms cannot be related to the lamp either. What you are describing is typical when the Color Wheel in the tv starts to fail. The Color Wheel is about $150 and is very complex to install. I would suggest you have it done by an authorized Mitsubishi repair shop but if you do want to attempt it yourself then reply back and I will be happy to help.

CLICK HERE TO SEE/BUY COLOR WHEEL

CLICK HERE TO FIND LOCAL REPAIR SHOPS

I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to say "thank you" :-)

In keeping with the design of this website, please be sure to click the 5 STARS or SMILEYS rating now. Doing so does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

I understand news of a failure is upsetting but clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,