Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Samsung 50" Plasma TV PN50C550G1F. It started

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 50" Plasma TV PN50C550G1F. It started with a loud pop then it would turn on and turn back off within seconds, video of that (https://www.dropbox.com/s/5w1qtakufek2593/IMG_2746.MOV?dl=0). I then replaced the y-main board (which did short
out, burnt mark under board) and also the power board. That corrected the turning off and on. Now it will turn on for a brief second of light and a little tv "snow" then go to a black screen with power still on, video of that (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3qu1pdlypery69/IMG_2839.MOV?dl=0).
Any assistance from this point would be extremely helpful.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This problem is most likely caused by a fault on a buffer board, which is in turn causing the Y-SUS Main board to fail.

Both boards will need to be replaced as a set when this happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete. Would that also be responsible for no sound coming from the tv during startup or do you think it could also be a main board issue?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this can also be responsible for no sound coming from the TV.

To confirm, turn the TV off and unplug it from the wall. Wait 5 minutes for the capacitors to discharge. Then unplug the connector going to the Y-SUS board and power on the TV. If it now powers up with sound, this confirms that the faulty Y-SUS board is causing the sound loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Pete,So I just inserted the new Y buffer and it is still doing the same as previously. So I've change out the Y- main board and Y- buffer along with the power source. Is there anything else it could be?Thanks,
Ryun
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ryun,

If you unplug the connector going to the Y-SUS board and power on the TV, can you hear sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no sound after unplugging the y- sus board from power board.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will open the question up to the other experts to see if they have any idea on this...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I appreciate it.