Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Just trying to get the best info on calibrating my

Customer Question

Just trying to get the best info on calibrating my lc-50UB30U: Sharp 50" Class AQUOS 4K Ultra HD Smart TV
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

I can give you some basic/recommended settings as a starting point:

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Start in Movie mode,

backlight at -11

contrast +32

bright 0

color 0

tint 0

sharp 0

motion enhancement off

active contrast off

gama 0

dnr off

If that seems to dark, increase backlight, but leave brightness at 0 in most cases.

To get the very best picture however, your hdtv really needs to be calibrated. I recommend taking the time to perform the calibration process on any new tv. While there are some preset modes that will give a good picture, there are so many variables between tvs, even of the same make and model due to manufacturing differences, the only way to truly optimize the picture is to use a calibration disc (example: http://amzn.to/1GZmx3b )

Using a calibration disc will ensure you have the proper settings for brightness, contrast, sharp, and color temperature, to match up with the calibration used on the recording equipment, so you will see the picture the way the movie/tv producers intended.

The calibration process is necessary to correct for variations in viewing environment, including viewing height, distance, and angle, as well as ambient lighting, altitude, as well as personal taste. If you prefer not to purchase a calibration disc, you can even burn your own copy for free (example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496) though you won't receive a violet filter for color adjustment with this option.

I am a professional home theater installer and I insist on calibrating the tv's for every system I install to ensure the customer receives the best possible picture, and recommend that the calibration process is performed on any new tv.

A true calibration involves some specialty equipment like a colorimeter and a laptop with calibration software. You can do a reasonably good job yourself with a calibration disc and your own eyes. Though without using at least a disc, if just trying to guess at settings, you will more often than not end up doing worse than what the built in standard factory settings are. If interested, read more about this concept here: http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

Best regards,