Dimmu TV
Dimmu TV, Handyman/Handywoman
Experience:  3 years experience
15852642

After latest update on WebOS TV to 5.0 firmware, Netfilx &

Customer Question

After latest update on WebOS TV to 5.0 firmware, Netfilx & Amazon video opens but will not loadmovies. Youtube ane WWW browsing works. Also voice recognition server not responding.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Download is 346 Mbps upload is 21 Mbps.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect that the first thing to try in this case would be to remove, and download again, the Netflix and the Amazon Video apps. And try them, to see if video loads and plays.

(I note, YouTube video is still loading and playing. Correct? if so, the above advice still applies.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did this and does not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YouTube and Web browser zips along fine. Local media server no problems. Streaming HD on premium channels. Reloaded Netflix and Amazon. Both work on all other devices except LG Smart TV.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps you are not logged in to the Netflix service on the TV. Try that ? or perhaps you already have.

Amazon services always require that you log in on the individual device, I think it is safe to say.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excuse me, but of course I'm logged in. I can view all movies available and read about them and favorite them. When I click on play, they go to 99% and stop or 25% and stop. So far I believe I have tried everything and hoped for something from you guys a bit more informed. What next?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Try this:

- log out of Netflix and Amazon, on the TV.

- wait a half hour or longer.

- log in to just Netflix, and see if things work this time, if they do, try Amazon, logged in to it again, similarly.

The only other remedy I can think of, might be to factory reset the software and configurations on the smart TV in question.

Since my efforts so far have not made progress with determining the cause of the problem, I apologize and have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category. I hope another Expert with more to offer for the problem will take up the case.

Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Is it connected to a router using WiFi or a cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was connected via ethernet but I found the download for some reason to be faster on wifi. Download was running 20-25 Mbps. I have reset the router twice. I have powered off the tv several times. I have removed and reloaded Netflix and Amazon. On the device help option for Netflix I have tested the network connection and it reports it to be good. I have also reset the LG TV to factory settings, which was a huge pain to rebuild apps and preferences. On my laptop via ethernet I get 346 Mbps. Puzzling.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

What model router are you using? What ISP do you have? (Some ISP's are throttling streaming services)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Arris TG1672. Time Warner Cable So Cal.
Of course, everything was working fine before the LG update to 5.00.20 and according to LG you can't go back down to previous software versions.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

You can not revert the firmware unfortunately. That would need to be done manually by an LG technician which would require sending it to them. Time Warner does throttle or at least used to but that would not explain why it is not working now but did before. It could be a router issue, I see you already checked for IP conflicts and Mac filtering. Did you happen to test a different device over WiFi with netflix or prime?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup. They work on all iPads, laptops and the Apple TV connected to the LG.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately that sounds like a LG software issue then and the only way to fix those normally is to send it to LG. I will opt out and open this to all experts in case anyone else has an idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. Right now thinking Arris settings. Will recheck but I'm using Airport Express for WiFi not the Arris.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

You did not mention that before. The AirPort may be the problem, can you remove it to test for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it was originally on ethernet and all fine then, upgraded and then not, so moved the LG to wireless because the downloads were faster.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Can you test it for me without the AirPort and let me know what happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wired?
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Either way straight to the modem though please. From what I could find your modem should also be a wireless gateway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it is configured routed with nat and I would hate to change it. So many devices are on line with it and the airport has been flawless. I'll take a look at going back to wired and see if things have changed. Also looking for an Arris firmware update.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

You do not need to remove the AirPort setup, just turn it off so the LG can connect directly to the Arris or wire the TV directly to the Arris which should accomplish the same thing without turning anything off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know the results when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No go. So did a modem reset, a full factory reset of the LG TV after removing Netflix and Amazon. Unplugged TV for an hour. Turned off airport. Reloaded all apps. And still freezing at the last moment, 99%, before loading a movie. But I signed up to HULU for a free week and it streams fine. Hmmm. So now back on wireless with 36 Mbps down and 9 Mbp up. Do I get my 28$ back? Thanks for trying. SJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! SJ