Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Have had a Sony KDL-40VE5 years. Recently the screen began

Customer Question

Have had a Sony KDL-40VE5 for several years. Recently the screen began to go black. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Tried a fix I saw online to click the channel while BRAVIA appeared on screen. That worked a few times. Now the red light is on. No sound, no picture.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! We are now connected together on this convenient website. I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority.

Even if you have tried unplugging the tv, please complete the following at least one time:

-disconnect ALL audio/video cables from tv.

-unplug the tv power cord from the wall.

-press and hold the power button on the tv for 20 seconds and release button.

-plug in the tv power cord only and try to power on.

If the tv comes on, do a Factory Reset by holding the up arrow on the remote and press the power button on the tv itself. The tv will power off then come back on and may present some initial setup options. Go ahead and connect all your cables and complete the setup.

If the problem continues then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, checks need to be performed, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can help you (a meter and some previous electronics experience is required). If you are unable or unwilling to perform these operations then a repair shop should be consulted.

I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to say "thank you" :-)

In keeping with the design of this website, please be sure to click the 5 STARS or SMILEYS rating now. Doing so does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

I understand news of a failure is upsetting but clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,