Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Can you tell me why jvc 42 in tv want come on, there's a

Customer Question

Can you tell me why jvc 42 in tv want come on, there's a blue light flashing
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm ready
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?
Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Did this problem happen all of sudden or gradually got worse over the last few days/weeks ?
Like it would take longer than usual or repeated attempts before it would turn on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was off and when I tried to turn it on it click on for a few seconds and clicked off. Then a blue light started flashing
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Any difficulties with the tv prior to this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I just need to know if this popped up all of sudden or gradually was getting difficult to turn on in the morning for example

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem prior to this I was just watching it came back home and turned it on and got this
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it then we are looking at internal problems with the tv and try to note if the blue light starts to blink when you plug in the power cord or only when you try to turn it on ?

let me know how that goes.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Got anything ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No still the same
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Ok then as I said , I did not expect much out of it but it had to be tried

How about that blue light , does it blink as soon as you plug in the power cord or only when you try to turn the tv on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but NO to what ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. ...but no its still doing the same thing
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This tv is 8 years old and right now you are very likely looking at a power board problem .

how do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Other possibility would be the main board but less likely .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm shocked right now, but is there anything else we can try
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

As far as reset goes and without actual repairs I`m afraid this is it .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The tv has been pretty good considering that you can consider good service out of a modern tv if it last 5 years without problems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has....never had any problems
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you were to look into repairing this yourself then you can get the power board at the link below for $47 ;

http://allprotvparts.com/index.php?id_product=8539&controller=product

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $200 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

Now this is a 42" tv and you can get a new one for around $300 or less so I would think twice before investing $200 into an 8 year old tv

Still, If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the links below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you and you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After rereading the messages, I realized I didn't really answer when the light flashes.. The blue light starts flashing shortly after I turn the TV on... The screen stay black..
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yep thats what i figured , the main board is responding and the power board does not give the voltages to turn the tv on .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This will require repair now , sorry but there is no way around that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can you fix it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I gave you a link to the power board if yu are into that

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back with you on that
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Found something rather interesting for this model if you want to give it a try

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This was in my database since a few years ago and was used after replacing the main board ;

1. Unplug the TV or remove AC power from the TV
2. Give it 10 secs, then plug in the TV
3. Locate the [Menu], [Vol-] and [Power] button on the TV's side panel
4. Using the buttons on the TV's Side Panel, press and hold both the [Menu] and [Vol-] buttons.
5. While holding those buttons, press and release the [Power] button one time and count to 3 before releasing the [Menu] and [Vol-] buttons.
6. The TV's lower left Blue Power LED will come ON.
7. Wait 30 seconds. Confirm that the blue LED on the Lower Left of the TV has remained ON during this time.
a. The TV may have turned ON. If so,continue at step 12 b. If the Blue LED on the TV's Lower Left corner remained ON, continue to step 8.
8. After confirming that the Blue LED is ON, unplug the TV or remove the AC power from the TV.
a. If the Blue LED on the TV's Lower Left corner is flashing, restart the procedure from step 3
9. Count to 10, then plug in the TV
10. The TV power should automatically come ON but no picture will appear. Only the blue power LED will be ON
11. Wait 40 seconds and the TV picture should appear
12. When the TV picture appears, you may begin normal use of the TV. (procedure is complete)

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Don`t put too much hope into this but who knows , this is a last ditch attempt

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If that ever does it then please do take the time to rate my answer , that is how I get paid here .

In any case you have all the details here to repair this whether the procedure is working or not .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

AFDB