TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I am trying to troubleshoot a friend's KDL-46XBR2 with no

Customer Question

I am trying to troubleshoot a friend's KDL-46XBR2 with no picture - he says it had sound before he lost picture but I haven't heard anything
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.
- Does TV screen glow/ show backlight or any graphics appear when turn On the TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No glow, backlight, or graphics. There were several devices connected to the TV and none of them were able to be seen. Right now there is a DVD player connected.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, turn On TV and playback a disc in DVD player, press Input button on TV remote several times to change video input source in TV, do you get sound of DVD playback in TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sound.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried that - in fact the TV sat unplugged for a month after it stopped working.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

ah OK, based on TV symptoms it seems BE2 Board failure which process video/audio signals in TV including menu graphics, it is the board that has couple of HDMI inputs and replacement of BE2 board will help to resolve the issue, required BE2 board part number is ***** that can be used to search/ google to get price and stock info to order it.

Please check following link to view the board image which will help to locate it in TV..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/j/sja1212544a.jpg

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound was supposedly working before he gave me the TV - if we got sound could it be a different board that was defective or could the sound have just gone out now because of the same board?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sound output chip is located on AV board where AV inputs are located but processor is on same BE2 board, we tried to switch AV inputs of TV to get sound of DVD playback but it didn't work that means sound processor may not be working any more along with video processor on BE2 board and this board replacement is required to get picture and sound in TV.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the BE2 board and there is no difference
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that, let me send this question to other experts to have a look and hopefully some one will soon respond to assist you. I'm opting out, please do not rate my answer and leave it as it is.

Thanks.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Is this the behavior of your TV model??

SYMPTOMs -- No Backlight, and Green Power LED lights, but won't BLINK, nor will it activate a FAIL code (red blinking). Backlight ON control line never switches to 3.2 Volts.

Oh and I am NOT ready to be rated...Just answer locks my box so I can't turn it off. I'm just asking questions to be sure that I have your answer correct.

The lights are the KEY to analyzing this.