Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a magnovox tv in test mode, I donot have remote

Customer Question

HI Tim,
I have a magnovox tv in test mode, I donot have remote for the tv..How do I reset the tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Tim is no longer with us but I will be glad to help you.

I need to know, what you see on the screen- is it the color test pattern?

Also, when did this occur- was it while trying to program another remote to the set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the color test pattern white , red green blue.I had a dvd in there and turned it off with out stopping the dvd and shut the power off, I turned the tv back on to run the dvd and test mode came on..
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this is a fault in the EEPROM- not usually something that can be fixed with trying to enter service codes (like you've tried). The only way it accidentally enters service mode is when trying to program a remote- like a DISH or DirecTv remote to the set and the remote accesses a funky code putting the TV into color test patterns.

When it occurs randomly- it's an EEPROM failure.

The only thing you can try on a user level (beyond replacing the mainboard), is a hard reset.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times- if it doesn't work the first 2.

If the issue is still there, you need to replace the Mainboard/power board. This is a $40 part and can be purchased at the link below for your set. It will fix the issue (the board is plug and play meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to swap it):

http://tvpartsforsale.com/PF-1ESA20408-MPW-PWB-Board_p_1438.html

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I can't order this on this website, looks like they are out of stock?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I didn't see that when I clicked on it? That part number can be used to search- I'll also Google it and see what else I can find. Standby.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Below for $25 from Encompass Parts:

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/8073456/Philips/1ESA20408/Mpw_Pwb(non-returnable)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I meant to say what if I can't find the part on this website, any others you recommend?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you're saying. Scroll right past this last reply and click on the link- it takes you DIRECTLY to the part for purchase. It's $25.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The part can be ordered directly from the following link for $25. Simply click on the link and you can order it here:

Also, please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I change out the EEPROM, a couple of screws on the back? I ordered yesterday and will wait for it to be shipped, if this is fixed the problem I will give you a 5star rating with referrals. If it doesn't we can chat a little more to find out if we can fix the TV problem..sounds fair? It's hard for me to rate right now if this does not work...thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You change out the EEPROM with a soldering iron- it's a chip soldered onto the Mainboard. Is that what you want a link to??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, Aric I ordered the whole board..just waiting for it to come in now..thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you're welcome and no problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.