Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a tachi L46s603 Ultravision LCD tv. I have had a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Hitachi L46s603 Ultravision LCD tv. I have had a problem with the resolution when I connected my Xbox 360 and now my Xbox One. Microsoft walked me through a solution to get a picture back with the 360 and said it could be a handshake issue, however my resolution settings are at 640x480 in order to have any picture at all with these Xboxes. Could you please explain what you think is happening and offer any suggestions?
The Xbox will only get a picture at this lower resoltion on the HDMI ports 1 and 2. I did repeat the process with ports 3,4 and 5. I love this tv, but what good is a HDTV that you can't see in HD? I would appreciate any advice and or help.
Cindy H, TN
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cindy,

First, rule out any fault with the HDMI cable by using a different HDMI cable or a new cable.

If that doesn't help, test the Xbox on a different TV to check that it gives you a good resolution elsewhere.

If it works ok on a different TV then you will know that the problem likely lies with how your TV is processing the input signal, and you could try using a different input cable type (e.g. Component cables)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did buy new cables and also tried ones from other components that I knew worked fine with this same tv at an HD resolution. This is only happening with the xbox? I also turned off the CEC Enable under set up and as it was on initially. Do you have any new or other solution that I haven't tried?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try another HD TV I have, Microsoft walked me through this as well. I would like to be able to use my xbox on this. Hitachi TV, I would like to believe there is a solution. I have HD service through my cable company and Blue Ray player and have checked the resolution on these and we're in HD resolution, so I don't understand why this is only happening with the Xbox?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cindy,

If it is only happening with the Xbox and only on this TV, then it does seem likely that it is a HDMI handshake problem.

This happens when the TV gets confused and cannot process the signal correctly.

Try leaving the TV unplugged overnight and also remove the HDMI cable from the rear of the TV.

Turn on the TV the next morning, then connect the HDMI cable to a different port than previously used.

Let me know if that resolves the issue...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
I appreciate your attempt to help resolve my problem. However, everything you asked that I try, I did do as you instructed, again as Microsoft had already walked me through everything you suggested. I feel that there is no resolution to my problem and I guess I will need to again try and contact Hitachi.I would like to cancel my membership, and I just wanted to express to you how when I tried to go and change my payment options it was missing from my account page. Just answer has already been paid the fee that was requested for you to help answer my question and I will be attempting to make contact to cancel my membership and any recurring payments as I am not satisfied that you can actually resolve my issue. Thank you for your time and your attempt..Cindy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cindy,

I will pass your request on to customer services.
I would appreciate it if you could leave a satisfactory rating for my service so far.
Thanks,
Pete.