Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Picked up a 40" RCA tv yesterday, cannot get it connected to

Customer Question

picked up a 40" RCA tv yesterday, cannot get it connected to my cable box, at one point I did get it connected to my vcr, but only got sound, guess I donot under stand to new terms, and technology...help
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, To help, I need to know the Make and Model off of the front of the Cable Box. There's many different options out there.

Also when you turn on the TV do you see the RCA Welcome screen show up please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Comcast, Scientific explorer8300HDC
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Are you trying to use an HDMI cable from the box to the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no welcome screen, I don't remember one anyway, have been very frustrated, don't know which one that is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't believe I received any cables in the box
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'm not there to see what you're trying- so I need details. I need to also know if when you first turn the TV on IF the RCA welcome screen shows up. If it does NOT then you have a defective TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No, cables are not included- you need to buy them. First I need to know for sure if that Welcome Screen shows up- since anything else we try will be futile if it does not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it might have, don't remember, I am able to get various screens about set up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
salesman did not tell me about needed cables..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess it's back to the store, any thing else I need?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the salesman would not know what cables you need since there's about a half dozen different ways to connect cable boxes, etc. If nothing displays on the TV however this is a faulty set and yes you would need to return the set to the retailer I'm afraid. This indicates a hardware defect.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You would need an HDMI (High Def) cable with that cable box and any new TV when you go back to the store.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, let me go back a bit- You stated earlier you were able to get various screen about "Setup"- IF so, then you need to simply connect that cable box to the TV using an HDMI cable, then use the INPUT button on the RCA remote and select "HDMI 1, 2, etc."- whichever one you're plugged into.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

So you need to buy that "HDMI" cable (it costs around $15), and change the Input on the TV using the RCA's "INPUT" button.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.