Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

J V C MOD.#HD-56G647 WILL NOT RESPOND TO REMOTE CONTROL,NEW

Customer Question

J V C MOD.#HD-56G647 WILL NOT RESPOND TO REMOTE CONTROL,NEW BATTERYS TESTED GOOD,CHANGED TO UNIVERSAL REMOTE,STILL NO RESPONCE. TURN TV ON MANUALLY BUT CANNOT GET IT TO DO A CHANNEL SEARCH .I GET TO POINT OF DOING THE SEARCH WHERE I MUST PUSH OK .I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS USING BUTTONS ON TV.WHAT CAN I DO TO GET REMOTE TO WORK OR HOW CAN I PROGRAM TV USING ONLY BUTTONS ON TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, there is a partial test to confirm if the remotes (original and universal) are working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.

On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself or a compatibility issue.

Please post back results of camera test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remotes are good
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Based on the results of "...Remotes are good...", then it would be an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Offhand, primary checks on likely suspects would be on:

• • open resistor / cracked board / open trace foil (least likely);
  • • cold solder / loose connection (less likely);
  • • low or missing IR circuit B+ (likely);
  • • InfraRed Sensor (most likely).

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.