Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a 60" 4k UHD samsung tv, two weeks ago a thin line

Customer Question

I have a 60" 4k UHD samsung tv, two weeks ago a thin line appeared across the screen about half way down. Can you tell what is causing this and how can I get it fixed or fix it myself. thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions like the tv` model number so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model number is *****
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks just wanted to make sure this was indeed a LCD and not a plasma tv .

If you open the TV's own menu , does it cover that line or you can still see it over the menu ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops yes the line still appears on screen
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks and the next question is critical now ;

Is the tv over a year old , how long since you bought it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its been over a year, unfortunately we did not get the extended warranty otherwise would not be doing this…..
had a 36 inch samsung for 10 years had a problem with it but was able to fix it, then we got this one and now this, hope I can do the same and fix it. hope it is not to serious…...
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m very sorry about this but it is indeed serious , this is a LCD tv and i`m afraid that there is only one possible cause for a problem like this and that is a defective LCD panel .
Anytime you have static horizontal lines , shadows or blobs /spots etc. on a lcd tv and it shows over the menu then it is a sure sign of a defective panel.
As a rule of thumb the LCD panel cost around 80% of the original cost of the tv and then it has to be stripped down and rebuilt around the new panel and then again that is if you can find a new panel.
When under warranty most companies will replace the tv , not the panel.
Sorry to say but this makes the tv practically un-repairable due to the high cost and again that is even if you could find a replacement panel

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news today but i`d rather tell you straight and spare you a waste of time and money , for example you could have a local tech. come to your home to take a look but the service call would cost you 100 to $125 ( paid in advance) and you would get the same diagnostic .

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer positively if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Just to follow up ;

Let me know if you have questions