Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 42inch Samsung digital tv about 7 years old, the

Customer Question

I have a 42inch Samsung digital tv about 7 years old, the voloume will
not reduce, via the direct manual button or the remote button, can you please help.
George
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, George.

Are you using only the tvs internal speakers, or any external theater/sound system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internal
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, etc.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age, replacement will usually make more sense though - you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range these days.

An alternative would be to replacement would be to go into the setup menu (if able to) and disable (or even clip the wiring to) the internal speakers, then hook up an external system like a soundbar.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.