Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sharp TV LC-46LE840X and I am very happy with it. I

Customer Question

I have a Sharp TV LC-46LE840X and I am very happy with it. I have been busy transferring videotape recordings to my Panasonic DVD recorder hard drive for transfer to DVDs. The tapes are up to 30 years old and were recorded with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I am able to view them at 4:3 while transferring to the DVD recorder. However, when I play the recorded version the Sharp TV shows them in wide screen and I have been unable to change this. I believe that all flat screen HD TVs do this. My Sharp operation manual tells me that i can turn the WSS setting off but I have not been able to find a way of doing this. Can you advise please?
Raoul
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you.

What happens if you press WIDE button on TV remote to change picture size? It is located on below the volume down and green button on remote.

Please reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that and also worked through the settings menu (options). I am presented with a choice between "full" (default) and "Dot by Dot". Changing to the latter made no difference to the aspect ratio.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, have you tried to playback recorded disc in another DVD player to see if it displays correct size picture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just tried to playback on a bluetooth player and it continues to show a widescreen picture.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is odd, does TV display normal size picture when playback regular/ commercial DVD on same player?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it always shows in wide screen.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, so TV is stuck on wide mode, no matter what DVD disc plays in player, is this correct?

- Have you tried to unplug TV and DVD player power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That made no difference. Still widescreen.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, working on it to see other options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying. I have now received advice from a technician I had contacted a week ago. He has assured me that the Sharp HD LCD television and all other late model brands have not made provision for a 4:3 aspect and there is nothing that can be done about it. Therefore there is no point in exploring other options. Under the circumstances please arrange for a refund of the amount charged and an assurance that there will not be any further charges made against my credit card.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, please contact customer service at following link/ number for billing issues as I have no control over such matters..

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Call:(###) ###-####/p>

Thanks.