Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

When I turn on my TV it clicks off and the red light is

Customer Question

When I turn on my TV it clicks off and the red light is flashing ? What to do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more information.

1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

2) How long have you owned it for and when did the problem occur?

3) Please count the groups of red flashes and tell me what you get (for example: 7 blinks, pause, 7 blinks, pause, etc.).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a wall mount, can't see the serial number, it just blinks ,10 yrs,started yesterday.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's the model number we need.

Anyhow, the 10 blink code is a failure in a Panasonic plasma- either with the mainboard or the power supply board. You never mentioned how old the set is as asked above? If over a year, then you're out of warranty and the set generally will require repairs on the order of between $250-$350 parts and labor (depending on model).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 yrs old
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so it is long out of warranty- and the age coincides with this type of failure. Read the rest of my reply above please and follow those steps. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried 3 times didn't work. Sound comes on for a few seconds then shuts off. Red light flashes 6 times then pause
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but that is all that you can try on a user level- there's no resets or quick fixes for the blinking light on the set beyond that. The code is an error code used by Panasonic to determine a hardware failure in the set, and tell a technician where to begin testing. This blink code points to the mainboard or the power board within the set and is on average a $250-$350 repair- but testing inside of the TV must be done to conclude which board is at fault. I'm sorry for the bad news here and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively I would also consider putting that same money towards a new LED TV, as a 10 year old Plasma is likely going to have further problems down the road, and the prices of new LED TV's have dropped significantly over the years.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Offhand the only other thing you can try- is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes that it resets- but I do not have high hopes for this working. The 10 blink code almost always points to the mainboard or power board in the set failing. Again, sorry for the bad new on this one.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.