Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My Sony TV has just started changing the volume by itself.

Customer Question

My Sony TV has just started changing the volume by itself. In particular, increasing. This is not just changing to an ad, it is watching any program and the volume just increases over about 5 minutes from 20 all the way to 100.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KDL-40X3100
Getting worse by the minute!
Even the mute gets over-ridden now.
DVD player connected but rarely used.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info.

- Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugging now.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sure, please take your time and reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned back on and the problem is still the same.
20-100 in about 30 seconds.
The mute override is because the volume being increased cancels the mute.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that, it seems bit serious issue in TV, either volume up button on TV got sticky and causing increase of volume so please check control buttons on side panel of TV to see if volume button is fine or got sticky, I would recommend to take off back cover of TV and unplug connector of control buttons to see if problem persist?

If control buttons on TV itself found OK (problem persist after disconnection of control buttons jack) then main board of TV will be replaced as main controller chip is causing volume up command itself due to internal failure and main board replacement will help to resolve the problem. Please get the part number off of main board to search/ google it to get price and stock info to order it if you wish to replace it yourself in TV and if you're not comfortable doing so then local TV tech will do this work for you.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Shahid.
Almost midnight for me, with work tomorrow so I will check out the control panel tomorrow.
In terms of the rating. If I give you five stars (or three or more) does that mean that the $39 gets debited, even though the problem is not solved?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, I can give you info about problem and suggestion to resolve it from here in this chat thread, I wish if I could unplug the connector through internet to proceed further quickly. You may please take your time to do rest of work on TV as I have given all required info like if disconnection of control board doesn't fix the problem then replace main board of TV which is next step. You can post follow up question at any time even after rating the answer now.

Thanks and wish you good luck!

Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but you didn't answer about payment. The site said I don't pay unless 100% satisfied. I was prepared to pay the $39 to get my TV working properly again but it isn't. I don't want to damage your rating record, but I don't want to pay if the problem is not solved. If I rate you 3,4 or 5 does my credit card automatically lose the $39?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

ah OK, you have paid a deposit to website and positive rating to answer will enable me to get paid ( small portion) by website, you can hold your rating to check control button board test, if volume still goes high then put new main board in TV to resolve the issue and then give positive (3~5 stars) rating.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries.
I will work on it tomorrow.
Time for bed now.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I can't charge your card for payment nor I have control on such matters. You're money remains with website till you rate the answer.

Thanks.