Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an LG 47LN5200UB, It lost picture. Screen is black

Customer Question

I have an LG 47LN5200UB, It lost picture. Screen is black but it has sound. I replaced the T-Con board and had no change to the problem. What is wrong with it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Please let me know if the backlights to the screen are ON or OFF when the TV is turned on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just looked in the vents from the back and it looks all dark
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this means the backlights to the screen aren't on. We need to test this for certain. Dim the lights in the room or shut them off. Shine a flashlight directly at the screen at a 45 degree angle and look very closely. Check for any shadowy images moving behind the screen. The reason I'm asking this is that it would appear the power supply/inverter board is at fault. The T-Con does not control the screen lighting in any way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Shadows, Looks totally black
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay if there's no backlights at all then you need to replace your power supply/led board which is at the link below for $65- and will fix this problem:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-eay62810801-power-supply-unit.htm

This board powers the backlights in the screen and since they're out, this is the part that causes this problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The LED inverter/power board has multiple outputs on it- and the TV can stay running even when one has failed. So you have the 5, and 12 volt outputs, but don't have the LED output voltage- which is why your LED's are not lighting up.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Was there something else you needed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the board you told me to... Got it from shopjimmy as suggested. Still have same problem... What next?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That's bad news. This means your LED lighting in your screen has failed- which means you need a new screen. These aren't available for purchase anywhere, and when found cost about 80% of what the TV cost when new. I'm sorry for the bad news on this one.