Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I was watching tv today and noticed the word 'mute' show up

Customer Question

i was watching tv today and noticed the word 'mute' show up in the top right hand corners of the screen. The mute usually is in the lower left. i attempted to un mute using the Prism remote as well as the Samsung. to no avail. i also tried to reset buy holding the power button for 10 seconds as tried by someone else. this did not help. ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

I would take it that you do not only have the word on screen but no sound as well ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the word just flashed and was gone and still have no sound
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What is connected to this tv ?
Cable converter box,satellite receiver dvd,games etc. ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to a Prism/Cable box
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then as cable boxes are known to cause sound problems , the first thing to try would be a reboot ;

Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.

Let me know how that goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already tried that…. anything else
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Do you have anything else connected to the tv ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what was tried so far so I wont ask you to go over it again .

The cable box reboot does work most of the time but not always

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What I mean is that you may have a defective cable box and that mute in the wrong place certainly was coming from the box.

Only way to find out if the tv or box is at fault now is either try another piece of equipment even if it is temporary

If that is not possible then try to connect the incoming cable from the wall outlet directly into the tv and see if you get sound there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, ill get a new cable from the company and try that..
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

At this point I believe it would be the next step before getting into tv repairs