Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have a Panasonic RS257DS and when it's turned on no matter

Customer Question

Have a Panasonic RS257DS and when it's turned on no matter what input is selected ... it has nothing but a hum. Do you think that the power supply Capacitors have gone bad???
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is NOT a TV ... do I have the correct place to ask this question??
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me if the hum is present whether trying to play the Tape deck, radio and the turntable please?

Also is there audio along wit the hum- or just the hum?

Does the level of hum change higher or lower with respect to the volume level of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does NOT matter what Input is selected .... NO Audio with any input ... just hum ... no it does not matter what volume level ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Acts like the hum is coming way before any amp input ...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay. This would not be indicative of a capacitor failure if there's no audio at all, but more analogous with shorted output transistors which are what drive the speaker outputs of the unit. Did this occur after the unit was let un-used for a period of time?

Also, do you have a multi-meter and can you postback with a picture of the inside of the unit so I can show you where to test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, yes the unit was left unused for some period of time .... and no, I don't have the unit apart right now .... but do have meters etc. to check things later ... but not right now .... too many irons in the fire right now .... Can I resume this later?? Have some honey does to tend to now before the debate .....
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I understand. You can postback at any time. I'm on and off throughout the day most days.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I "Post Back" ??? Wife is calling me .... sorry ... but I really would like to get this resolved ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send me an E-Mail as to how to pick this up again ....***@******.***
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Type back on this page at any time. Bookmark the page/add to favorites, or log onto justanswer.com then click on "My Questions" to get back here.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I cant send anything directly to your e-mail, the site prohibits me from doing that. You should be getting notifications from Just Answer at your e-mail address as well which you can use to get back here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you SO Much ... gotta run ..... but would like to pay you for what you have done thus far .....
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and I appreciate that. You can rate now and reply back at anytime at no additional cost if you'd like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SUPER, have a great evening .....
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You as well!