Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have recently lost my amazon instant video app. How can I

Customer Question

I have recently lost my amazon instant video app. How can I get it back? It is not available in the app market.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Do not go into the market, instead go to where all your internet apps are listed.

Then choose settings, here choose the home screen customize option.

Put a check next to the box for Amazon, if it is already checked, uncheck and check it again.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Amazon app is not available to be checked. 15 days ago the Panasonic server went down. At that time I lost access to Amazon.
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

Have you scrolled all the way down? It should have more apps if you go past the bottom.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have. The app is not there
Expert:  Dimmu TV replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This is not a matter of any setting or adjustment.

Unfortunately, amazon discontinued support for this tv model, as well as many others.

The latest panasonic software update is not compatible with the amazon server environment any longer, and the amazon app was dropped. This is not expected to change or be added back and is partly due to licensing issues as well. Panasonic just isn't supporting amazon on the newer models.

To get that functionality would require the use of an external streaming device. For $30-100 you can buy a chromecast, roku, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions as the tv had, including amazon instant video and many more, with better performance. Of these, the fire tv is the most suitable option.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke to a Panasonic Tech rep today. He confirmed the older units are not being serviced but it doesn't effect my 2014 unit. If you have found something different please site your findings.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I believe the person you spoke with simply has outdated information. Despite what they've published, we've found out in the field, in the real world, that at this point service was discontinued. It is not official yet, because the change happened on the amazon server side. That doesn't mean that it can never come back, but for that to happen Panasonic would have to release a corresponding firmware update to allow that functionality to continue. Until that happens, the amazon app won't be available. They may or may not publish that update, as they tend not to support firmware once the model is out of production, which is why I was suggesting that in the interest of time and getting the app back, as well as maintaining it in the future, you'd be better off with an external device.

I don't have a source to cite for this other than personal experience as a panasonic dealer/installer. The evidence will become clear however upon the next firmware release, if/when the app does not return at that point.