Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Digital Lifestyles TV that will not play or

Customer Question

I have a Digital Lifestyles TV that will not play or power-up. Model number is ***** Can you tell me what is wrong with it? Also, what parts may need changing?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you see any signs of life from the tv at all?

Solid or flashing power light?
Clicking sounds?
Screen lit/glowing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no sound, nor light. Screen is black.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What about the power/status light (you should have a small red light on the front), is that lit up solid or flashing at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, at minimum a faulty power supply, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. These Digital Lifestyles tvs are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum, made with low quality generic parts and tend to have very short service lives. Seeing them last just a year or two even is typical so it is well past its expected lifespan at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. To give you an idea, a new power board is about a $100 part, though they are long discontinued and difficult to find.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/brand/age, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new and upgraded LED tv with a better (1080p) picture and a fresh warranty in the same $300 price range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Note: I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.