david
david, Hardware Guru
Experience:  6+ years of hardware expertise
65089077

Use my Samsung tv sometimes to see my computer screen. Use

Customer Question

Use my Samsung tv sometimes to see my computer screen. Use an hdmi cord, Have used many times but not tv screen goes black with no display, Checked cord on other device. It is good. Any solution ?
Category: TV
Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

I would be glad to help. First to better understand your problem, are you able to hook another device to your TV with this cable and are you able to display to another TV or monitor from your computer using this same cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can display to another tv but not to this television
Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

OK, great. There are a number of reasons that your TV could not be working properly. Let's try out the most obvious issues first, and once you let me know that these steps do not help, we can move onto the more difficult solutions.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

For all of these steps make sure you have your computer setup to display through the HDMI and have the cable connected to both the TV and computer.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

First, lets check to see if the TV is on the correct input. Your remote should have an "INPUT" button. Try pressing this button every 10-15 seconds to check all of the inputs on your TV. After cycling through all of the inputs if you do not see your computer display we can try something else.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

First make sure you have the correct input selected, by checking the name of the HDMI port on your TV that is using the cable, and using the INPUT button choose the input with the same name.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

We will want to check if your computer is using a valid resolution that your TV supports. The most common resolutions for TVs are 1920x1080 and 1280x720.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

On your computer, right-click on your desktop and choose "screen resolution" or "display properties". On this menu you should then have the ability to change the resolution of your computer display and the external HDMI display. You may need to click on an image of the external display to select the options for this display. Make sure the resolution is set to one of the resolutions I mentioned in my previous post, and hit Apply. Let me know if that enables the picture on your TV.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if any of the previous suggestions were helpful. You can let me know here:

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/9damt-use-samsung-tv-sometimes-computer-screen-use.html

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

I have already provided a solution to your problem on your question page. But you have not replied or rated my solution so I'm unsure if you still need help with this issue. Please visit the question page to let me know:

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

I will do my best to keep your question open so you have a chance to respond. But please try to visit the question page in the next couple days to leave a rating or reply so we know whether or not your problem has been resolved.