Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

ALL ON MY TV IS A BRIGHT SCREEN. THE POWER BUTTON WILL LET

Customer Question

ALL I AM GETTING ON MY TV IS A BRIGHT GREEN SCREEN. THE POWER BUTTON WILL LET ME TURN THE TV ON BUT NOT OFF. THE INPUT BUTTON IS NOT RESPONDING. EVERYTHING IS HOOKED UP PROPERLY. IS THERE A RESET BUTTON OR A WAY TO RESET THE TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, This is a fault with the Mainboard in the set in most cases- which requires replacement of that board.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Let me know what happens and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same thing. The set powers up but only to a green screen and will not let me change the input using the input button. The volume buttons are not responding. The menu button is not working either.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you get the Gateway welcome logo when you first power up the set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It goes straight to the green screen
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This does require component replacement in the set to fix this issue. On a user level you can try leaving the set unplugged for an hour or more int he hopes the processor resets- but I don't have high hopes for this. The part that needs to be replaced is available at the link below for your set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-42-GTW-P42M102-L11393-05-006-Main-Video-Board-MotherBoard-Unit-/361329142387?hash=item5420e52a73

If you're looking to do this yourself, you can purchase that part and swap it out- it's plug and play meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Alternatively if you're not looking to repair the set yourself a shop will charge $300 parts and labor and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.