Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

TaChi Plasma TV. Lost picture then a few seconds later lost

Customer Question

HitaChi Plasma TV. Lost picture then a few seconds later lost sound. Then it clicked aND turned off. Turned it on and got blinking lights, don't know how many but 3 or 4. Did some research and thought I'd try and fix it. 7 yrs old so if I was unsuccessful it was no big deal. Thought maybe a capacitor and located two that possibly were shot. Replaced them and same thing. Husband noticed what looked like a blown transistor(?) On the SDR-U board. Researched and learned that if I took it out and saw the bottom half of screen- that was issue. Tried it, saw bottom half got excited and then a transistor on the SDR-D board blew ordered both parts and replaced. Now I have sound but no picture.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Please reply back so I know you're here. Also, are you with the unit now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I won't be until tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, did you replace the whole boards or just components?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both SDR- U and SDR- D boards.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Interesting. SDR have nothing to do with sound. Do you know if the plasma panel is charging?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't think so after my research. Thought it only affected upper and lower picture. How can I tell about plasma panel charging?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Turn the TV off, and make the room as dark as possible. Get a good idea for how pitch black the screen is. Now turn the TV on and watch the screen. I know it’s still black, but did the screen seem to lighten up, even slightly? It might appear dark blue, gray, or even dark purple.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That's how I check to see if it's charging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I can't try until tomorrow morning. But I will say that I don't think so. After I replaced the boards I looked for any sign the picture was working. It's in a pretty dark room and it's in a boxed in entertainment compartment.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, once we know if it's charging we can narrow our troubleshooting. Also... will you have access to the back of the TV tomorrow, while the TV is on??

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Oh... and do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will have have access to the back and I do have a multimeter but I don't think I know how to use it. When I try it keeps doing numbers all over the place. I can't get a constant on anything I use it on. And I'm not a dumb blonde. :-)
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, there are 2 checks I want to do...

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Check 1:

- Disconnect the power cord

- Lay the TV face down on a sturdy table that has been lined with a blanket

- Remove the entire rear panel assembly (lots of screws... keep track)

- Standing behind the TV, find the Ysus and Zsus. Note... the SDR boards attach to the Ysus. The other large board on the far right side is the Zsus

- Connect the power cord and turn the TV on (check for priming here)... now let it sit for 30 minutes turned on

- Touch the heatsinks on the Ysus board, using only one hand... do the same for the Zsus

- Are any of them still at room temperature, or cooler? If so, which ones?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Check 2:

- Leave the TV turned on

- Set your meter to DC voltage (DCV, VDC, whatever... it's usually the "V" with the straight horizontal lines over it)

- Black lead goes to any exposed chassis metal for ground

- Red lead goes to the VS test point on the power supply board

- Do the same for the VA test point.. report back with both voltages

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me get you a picture showing where VS and VA are.... stand by.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Wait... need your TV's model number so I can get you the right picture. Post back when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I've done part of those checks but can do the rest In the morning. I'll have the model number for you by then also. Just know, I'm a girl who doesn't know what she's doing so obviously I have put this in your hands but I'm not stupid. And I've never NOT been able to figure something out. If you're patient with me, I know I can do this... with your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yep, we can handle this. No problem. OK I'll go ahead and give you a picture of a super common Hitachi power supply. Yours is really close to this picture. Click >>HERE<<.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

See that red box I outlined? There are 3 pins inside that box. Your meter's red lead needs to test each of those pins... one at a time. Keep the TV turned on, and the black lead grounded to any exposed chassis metal (I like to use a screw that's holding the board in place).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome, if I respond in the am will I still talk to you?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yep. I work M-F so I can't always respond quickly during the day... but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.