Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Pioneer vsx 45 when selecting watch tv everything turns on,

Customer Question

pioneer vsx 45 when selecting watch tv everything turns on, then after about 30 seconds the reciever switches imputs on it own and no signal to tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, If you got a new receiver and have the same results- then you need to look at the other variables in the system- The Cable Box, the HDMI cables or the TV.

So please tell me what is the model number off of the back of the TV you're connected to?

What is the source you're trying to view through the Pioneer (Cable/SAT box, Blu Ray player, etc.)?

Have you changed out your HDMI cables yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
un46eh6000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
source direct tv apple tv blue ray
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, does the same problem occur with ALL sources you try to watch through the receiver?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

In other words, if you try to view Apple TV- does the receiver still switch sources on it's own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything works for 30 seconds, then reciver turns to TV as a source and everything goes blank. direct tv hdmi is in sat/cbl on receiver , apple tv is on dvd/hdmi 1, and blue ray is in BD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a harmony remote tells it the sources, but even if i switch the imput by hand to direct tv, a few minutes later the reciever switces to tv as a source
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If I may- TV is a source on the TV- not the receiver. So, are you sure the Samsung is not what's actually switching SOURCE here?

Sounds like the TV is changing it's source which would be a TV problem- or HDMI cable problem- not a receiver problem.

Let's try a test- forget about the receiver right now- and connect the HDMI cable from the TV directly to the DirecTv box.

Let me know if the TV stays on the correct source.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv is hooked to the tv output of receiver and into the tv inhdm1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me a min
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I understand. TV is the Samsung Source setting. In other words- I am asking you to take the receiver out of the mix since TWO receivers would not have the same problem. I think your TV is changing source- not the receiver.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
works fine, the sound is played through optical cable from receiver
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

There's no way two receivers had the exact same problem. I need you to elaborate- was the source setting on the front of the Pioneer receiver actually switching? Or the TV's source setting on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the source setting on the receivers changes, I labeled them to direct tv, apple tv, blue ray movie and radio, when the receiver switches to watch direct tv it works fine for 30 seconds then switches to a setting of TV which is not a name that i programmed
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you set the receiver to watch Apple TV- does it still switch after 30 seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the visuals are on the receiver not tv, if i go and manually switch it back to direct tv it stays and works good but when I change it for the first time to direct tv, it changes to tv after 30 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apple tv does it also, the only one not giving me problems is the blue ray
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Our replies crossed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let's look at the facts here:

Two receivers- same problem (the issue is not the receiver).

Two sources have the problem- the third (BR) does not.

So please try this test to rule out an HDMI cable issue.

Pull the HDMI cable out of the BR player and plug it right into the DirecTv box.

Switch to the BR Input on the receiver- and see if the DirecTv box displays without the receiver changing Inputs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I have other hdmi cables can I use them
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Let's try using the BR one for now- in the BR port on the receiver to keep the test controlled please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I did what you said, I get audio but not video
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Strange. Please unplug the receiver and TV from power.

Then put the BR player back where it was and replace the HDMI cable for the DirecTv box with another cable.

Also do the same with the Apple TV box (replace the cable).

Plug everything back into power and then test by selecting the Cbl/SAT source- see what happens.

Next repeat that test with the Apple TV box- and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sorry for the delay, the direct tv is warming up and it hasn't switched sources yet
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay good- fingers crossed over here. Let me know how it goes.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as much as wanted it to work, it switched
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please switch over to the Apple TV again and see if it switches as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apple tv seems to work
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay the the issue would be isolated to the DirecTv box- would you agree?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure because, its intermittent on apple as well. Just so you know I had an earlier model pioneer and eveything worked fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I contact you tomorrow, I have to get my kids ready for the night
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You can reply back here at anytime- bookmark the page/add to favorites, or log onto www.justanswer.com then click on "My Questions" to get back here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok try again tomorrow
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay.