Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a panasonic TC-P60S30 that when plugged in I only

Customer Question

Customer: I have a panasonic TC-P60S30 that when plugged in I only hear a click
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My neighbors house was struck by lightning and after that our TV did not work. I have no error codes on my TV just a click and nothing else
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome

Is there any power-light lit or blinking please on the front of the set?

Let me know thank you

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no power light or blinking. Just a click when you plug it in.

In every case where their is no power light lit and you are sure their is power reaching the set the back of the set will need to come off (set unplugged from the wall)and some checks carried out using a meter (volt\amps\resistance)this is just to verify if the powerboard is bad, are you able to do that yourself?if so please let me know I will provide more details, the most likely suspect as it stands now is the powerboard itself.

Please let me know if you can do work or need more info

Regards

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah I have the back off and am ready to start checking

OK have a look on the power-board for the Vs and Va scan voltages you are hearing a click so the power-board is doing something, these two voltages are marked on the power-board Vs or Vsus or Va or Vga red lead to test point black lead to metal chassis , meter set to dc

Let me know what you read

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just plugged it in and now its not even clicking. I found the Vsus but didn't get any reading

You see the scan boards left and right of the set plugged into the power-board disconnect those from the power-board then try and take the voltages again with them disconnected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am placing one lead on the Vsus screw and one on the chasis.

OK thanks

OK the next check is a low voltage one and its the standby _5vdc to the mainboard , the mainboard is the one with all the AV connectors on, just go to each pin of each plug (that feeds the mainboard from powerboard) looking for that 5vdc it does not matter which pin because it should be the only voltage being generated if it is being generated.

Let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 6th pin I got 5 volts dc. I got some other voltages on other pins too. But that was the only one dead on 5vdc.

OKjust give me 5 mins please

Can you please let me know the partnumber on the powerboard?it will be on a sticky label or etched on the board may begin NOAE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a main power board and two sub boards. The Vsus was on a sub board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOAE6KM00003

OK hang on

I am sorry about that I cant get the image uploade to work can you see the two fuses one in the middle of the board and one at the botton?please measure these on ohms are they OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I got 0.4 ohms on both fuses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is a pic of the powerboard

I have a bad connection I will try and get back to you asap

OK where are you taking the Vsus from please

Sorry for delays

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the attached graphic for Vsus reading.

OK I see that is correct

Switch the set off wait 10 mins then connect up the leads again for the Vsuus whilst set is off, switch on set does vsus come up then die away?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Vsus Vdc when the TV is plugged in

This board is hell to deal with now I am caught between blaming the mainboard for not unlatching the power-board OR the power-board itself, now what I need you to do is again go to those pins going to the mainboard and let me know if there is any swing in those voltages when you press the on/off switch on the set itself, you will need to do each in turn (the reason is the poor schematic)

Let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no voltage drop on any pins

I am convinced you have a problem with the power-board this was lightening storm damaged related too so please replace the power-board

try www.shopjimmy.com first for the board

If not google the part-number for suppliers

Anthony

Let me know how it works out

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I purchased a bunch of boards including my power board. I will replace and let you know.

OK thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok changed the power board to the one I got at shop jimmy and it gives no reading at Vsus and all the pin Vdc on the main board are the same and none of them change when the power button is pressed still.

That was quick!

OK just to clarify you did disconnect the scan boards earlier and still got no vsus reading?

If so then I am looking at the mainboard now not unlatching the power

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will disconnect the scan boards and retake the reading. I already had the parts since I ordered them previously. I also have another main board.

OK let me know, at the mo one or two things are not making sense but let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no Vsus voltage with both boards disconnected.

OK put that main-board in please

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok finished putting the other main board in and now the optical port on the board does not light up. The TV now clicks twice when plugged in. No Vsus but there is still 5 Vdc at connector A6 pin6 only. No other power readings on any other pins.

If that main-board was not the problem then you should not get anything else other than what you had BEFORE the replacement main-board was fitted so it should behave the same so there may be a problem with that replacement main-board are both part-numbers exactly the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both are the same. If I got a bad main board should I switch it back?

Yes but you are describing different symptoms

These are different from the original board as I said if both were exactly the same I would not suspect the replacement mainboard I think its the WRONG board you can verify that by getting the partnumbers from both

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so you were dead on I checked the part numbers and my TV used the TNPH0914 1A and the replacement I bought was a TNPH0914 2A. I have one on the way so when it gets here I will install and update with the condition.

OK let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the new main board installed now I have a constant red power light. I have no Vsus dc power still and no picture.

The problem you have here is probably multi board failure due to the storm do you have the power-board that you fitted?put that in as well and let me know if there is any change, the problem with storm damage is there is no guarantee the set will start because you have to cover one base to get to the other

Let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my new shop jimmy power board is installed

So you have the main-board in the power-board in , OK the next check is an ohms check please set the meter to low ohms switch off the set from wallpower go to the vsus test point black lead to metal chassis red lead to vsus what do you read?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a reading of 0.3 ohms

The scan boards or one of them is short, why the vsus is not coming up when the scan boards are disconnected is anyones guess sometimes the powerboard wont work unless there is a load (odd occasion)now we are left with discovering which of those scan boards is short, can you take a photo of the complete inside of the set?

I will have a look myself

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See the pic of the TV. When you say scan boards you are talking the boards to the right and left of the power board correct?

Yes so set the meter up the same way on ohms and disconnect each board in turn until the short circuit disappears (luckily this set has entirely separate isolated supplies to both boards)

Let me know which board it is that drops the short (meter should go to infinity or near or very high ohms)

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the VSus disconnecting each connector to the sub board and it read 0.3 the entire time.

That is not possible

Not for two boards with scan boards disconnected

Are you sure you are measuring at the right point for the vsus?

This board is really hard work for the two most essential voltages

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same way I measured in the picture I showed you. I set the resistance to the lowest setting and unpluged each connector one at a time and nothing changed. The Vsus check point is on the sub power board on the far left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See pics for Vsus resistance measurements

It must be the sub powerboard then sorry I was under the impression the board was complete on most occasions it is! you will need to replace the sub power that is definetly your problem

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do I will get it in order and replace it

Yes it has to be that if all is well please remember to rate the answer positively, this set is particularly a difficult one as there are many variants and the powerboard is a nightmare (now sub-power)

Let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got the new sub board in and nothing has changed. No doc Vsus at the terminal

Is there still a short circuit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Short circuit? There has never been a short to ground. I just get 0 at the Vsus test point. I have never gotten any reading there

That is a short circuit, so you put the red lead on the vsus test point black lead to metal chassis and get 0 ohms?short circuit

Infinity or hardly any reading or 1 on the meter is no short circuit.......maybe you have conveyed that info wrongly

You did say 0.3 ohms that is a short

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so breakthrough I have a picture but now I have a purple green yellow and 2 blue bars running from the top right half of the screen to the bottom

OK measure the Vsus voltage now what is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no Vsus voltage.

OK lets get this right now I have been into the schematic you should be measuring the vsus on either on P2 (pin 1)or P11 pin1 the Va should be measured on P35 pin 1 or 2

Let me know what you get

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are those dc or ac?

Always dc for any voltage

Go right to the metal with the black lead not the screw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.8 on p1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same for P11 2.8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that was the same on P2 and P11

I cant see how you can have a picture but not about 200vdc for the vsus?? it doesnt make sense is the meter OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.9 on P35

Sorry something is either wrong with the meter or you do not have the meter set right

You must have the Vsus otherwise there will be no pic at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Agreed.

Please swap the meter the only other thing is your on ac instead of dc , the dc says dc or is a line and a dotted line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand and have checked the meter on both AC plug and DC battery. The only thing I can tell you is there is a reading of about 185 or so that flashes then drops off. Not constant

Do you still have that picture up?that makes more sense but not whilst the pic is on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still plugged in and pic is on.

Are you reading 0 ohms still?or was you measuring at the wrong place for Vsus?

I still believe you readings are wrong the pic cant stay on without the Vsus or Va

they are the scan board voltages now just ignoring that melay for now please put the original mainboard back in, if you replace the logic board put that back in too

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which one is the logic board?

It may be integral to the mainboard on this set

There ae so many versions of this chassis it gets confusing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok switched to the original main board and the TV does not turn on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anthony say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!! You referred me to someone else. Thanks for all the help though.