Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My pioneer tv will not turn on. Whats up?

Customer Question

my pioneer tv will not turn on. Whats up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Please reply back so I know you're here. Also, are you with the unit now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What's the model number on the back of the TV? Also, are there any flashing lights on the TV when you try to turn it on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pdp-5020fd
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, when you try to turn the TV on do you see a blue or red flashing light on the front?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blue. and it flashes 8 consecutive times
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks. Did anything happen before this issue popped up? Any storms in your area? Did you disconnect and clean the TV area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
neither
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, then we're looking at an internal issue here. I know what the problem is. Can you give me a few minutes to type up your answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK. These Pioneer models use a self-diagnosis feature that tells us where the TV thinks the problem is. They're usually pretty accurate, too. On your 5020FD, the blue LED flashing 8 times indicates a "main IIC communication" failure. This is not an easy issue. It's triggered when the main microprocessor inside the TV senses a data bus / communication failure during the power on sequence.

I've seen this issue caused by a defective power supply board. I've also seen it caused by a defective main board, and also a firmware issue. It really could be caused by a few different things, and you'll want Pioneer to investigate internally. There is a trap switch located inside this TV, so do not disassemble and attempt your own repair. Go direct with Pioneer to locate a servicer around you... I've seen many many customers over the years ruin their Pioneer sets. They're much more difficult to work on than the other brands.

Sorry there isn't a quick fix for this. Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this?