Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My Westinghouse TV starts ok, but stops working in a

Customer Question

My Westinghouse TV starts ok, but stops working in a consistent 5-7 minutes. I took to another outlet and different cable connection and the same thing happens. Model SKI - 26H730S
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan. Please reply back so I know you're here. Also, are you with the unit now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send an email later his is absurd, can you answer or not. Looks like a rip off of my 5 bucks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just wanted to know if you were in the chat, and if you're near the TV now.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you want help, or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you would give me an answer as to whether or not this was something you could potentially address. Every time I went to another screen there was another option to pay more money - $28 to ask , $5 to get to type a request $18 for a phone call. I am not home, I was not home - I was simply taking advantage of a few minutes of downtime. SO - is this a process where i need to be next to the TV or is it something you can tell from the symptoms what the issue is and can it be fixed? Can you give me any feedback? Do you want me to type again when I am near the TV? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I have no control over what the site does... all the offers, pop ups, etc. aren't my fault. Sorry if they're bugging you. I just answer the questions =)

Going back to your issue... I see that you have a SK-26H730S, and that it stops working on 5-7 minutes. I need to know more about what it stops doing. Does it turn itself off? Does it just lose the picture, or sound? Both? Be as specific as possible... remember I'm not there with you, so I can't see or hear what the TV is doing (or not doing).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While this is important it is not critical to my life - so i am only now getting back to your response. Thanks for understanding my frustration with just trying to use this system in the least expensive way possible. After 5 to 7 minutes it completely shuts off and will not restart for a lengthy time. I am not certain of the shortest time to restart, but it does restart after 2 hours, but only shuts off again in 5 to 7 minutes. I have made sure the air vents do not a have anything clogging them. The TV is in our basement, it is dry but does have greater temperature differential than the rest of the house. I have it near the ceiling on a shelf, with a second shelf below it for the dvd player. I can't think of anything else I can add at this point. Hop that helps.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I've worked with this model a lot, and this definitely appears to be an internal failure. Do you have any desire to get inside the TV yourself to make repairs? Or do you need a diagnosis and cost on repair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are certainly a lot of sales this time of year. Do you have a feel for the price range of a repair - is this something that would even be possible locally or does it need to be shipped someplace? It's funny - I am just realizing this is the first failure in this current generation of TVs in the house - not a problem or complaint - simply an acknowledgement o fhow well everything works - it was simply this tv's turn. Thanks