Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My 50 inch tv has no picture, sound is working

Customer Question

my 50 inch tv has no picture, sound is working
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to determine what's causing this, I need to ask you for more information.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) What is connected to the TV for sources (cable box, DVD player, etc.), and does this issue occur regardless of which source you're viewing from?
3) If you press MENU using the original TV remote, or the MENU button on the TV itself- does the MENU display normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 or 2 years sat dvd yes 3 no
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. If not even the TV's native MENU will show, then this does indicate a hardware issue within the TV. This is generally caused by a failure in the backlights to the screen (which may require components be replaced to fix it).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up NORMALLY. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work. Let me know what happens please.