Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sony VPLVW95 projector and a Sony Home Theatre

Customer Question

I have a Sony VPLVW95 projector and a Sony Home Theatre System (HT-M7/HT-M5/HT-M3). I just moved house and can't get it set up to work properly again. I can only get sound or vision (HDMI cable and a Sony blue ray player). I can't get both at the same tim, which seems weird and impossible. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome

If you connect up the blu-ray directly to the TV via HDMI (bypassing the hometheatre) does it work OK?this is a test/check not an answer thank you

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I just select cable TV, the projector and home theatre provide sound and vision. It is only when I try to use a DVD or Blu Ray player that I encounter the problem. Bizarre!

I see please try a reboot of the home theatre and the blu ray by unplugging both from wallpower waiting 5 mins then replugging back in again, if that does not work please carry out the earlier check thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check it through a TV and it works works perfectly, because that has an audio return control built in, which the projector doesn't. So I'm trying to isolate the image through a projector and the sound through the home theatre system using a single HDMI cable from the BD to the HTS.

OK I don't know I will opt out perhaps someone else knows please await another tech thanks

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, a review; have you ensured that the HT-MH7 is set for "AMP" in MENU / HDMI / AUDIO.OUT

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes, when I use cable, it works fine with the same setup. There is only an HDMI cable for audio out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you do that on this particular piece of equipment? Why won't the sound work for the BD when it does work for the SAT?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Second review; when selecting BD/DVD IN, have you verified that the HT-MH7 is set for "AUTO" in AMP MENU / AUDIO / IN MODE / AUTO

Do you mean with the same setup/connection and substituting the BD unit with a satellite receiver, there is sound from the Sony speakers? If ytes, the model number of the BD player please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW when I say cable, I mean SAT probably in your vernacular.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

A glitch with the multiple posts. As posted above:

...Second review; when selecting BD/DVD IN, have you verified that the HT-MH7 is set for "AUTO" in AMP MENU / AUDIO / IN MODE / AUTO

Do you mean with the same setup/connection and substituting the BD unit with a satellite receiver, there is sound from the Sony speakers? If yes, the model number of the BD player please?...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the Sony BD is BDP-S5100. Also the AMP menu options you suggested for HTS are not available, so I think we're talking about a different model, they're nothing like that, just left and right and R-range etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I disconnect the projector, the sound of the BD comes through the speakers. Weird. So it is a setting in all BDs. I have 3 different models and all of them have the same problem.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

For the second review, have you tried the instructions from the User's Manual? Please click HERE.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please post 1 at a time, otherwise your posts would be overlapping and my reply would not be in sync with your last post.

And have you tried the first review, AMP MENU / HDMI / AUDIO.OUT / AMP?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this model is only digital. There are no analogue audio out components. There is digital in and out but HDMI overrides that. Before I moved, it used to work. That's the most frustrating thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Responding to your second response, I've already posted I don't have those menu options. But it doesn't alter the outcome or the fundamental issue. Why can I get sound and audio when using SAT but only sound or vision when using a BD?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Bear with me. Please confirm "..with the same setup/connection/HDMI cable and the same HDMI port is used in the Sony HT-MH7, swapping the BD unit with a satellite receiver, there would now be sound from the Sony speakers?..."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
precisely. Just at the push of a few buttons on various controllers. But multiple different Sony BD players have been attempted, so I'm wondering whether the fault is isolated to that, and if I were to substitute a different brand of BD, maybe I could get it to work?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

If "...swapping the BD unit with a satellite receiver...", then why still need to "... push of a few buttons on various controllers..."

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OMG, I don't physically get up and disconnect and reconnect different units. I just use controllers like everybody else in the world. Forget it...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

That was meant to be a test / confirmation to determine if it is a HT-M7 or a BD issue.

Still, good luck with the connections as I have opted out.