Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Maxent flat screen TV. The screen is flickering

Customer Question

i have a Maxent flat screen TV. The screen is flickering badly. i have replaced my cable box, all cables and the problem is still there. Is this a TV problem? If so, can it be fixed?
David/
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am an experienced electronics field technician connected to you via this pay for assistance chat based support service. Your satisfaction is my top priority and in return your positive rating is the only way I will receive credit for my time. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):

1. How long have you owned this tv? When did the problem start?
2. If you bring up the tv menu using the original remote or the buttons on the tv itself, does that on screen menu also flicker?

3. Can you provide a video clip of the flickering? (upload to youtube, share link)

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had this until about 5 years. It is a great TV. Yes, when I pull up the menu it still flickers
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

In those 5 years, when did the problem start happening?

Can you provide a video clip of the flickering? (upload to youtube, share link)

Do you own a multi-meter and have previous experience using it to measure live voltages?

Do you own a soldering iron and have replaced components on circuit boards?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem started a month ago. I cannot upload a video clip
i do not own a multi meter
No sodering iron.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Since the menu is affected and more than one source device is affected, this does seem like a tv issue. You can try unplugging the tv power cord for a few minutes and check for an ALL reset or Factory Default option in the tv menu. If those do not help then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, checks need to be performed, then parts ordered and installed. It can be fixed but would likely cost more than a new 42" tv that comes with a fresh warranty, more features, and better picture quality. Just a diagnosis usually runs $99.

I am here to help you. If you need more help reply back. Please be sure to click the 5 STARS or SMILEYS rating now. Doing so does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

I understand news of a failure is upsetting but clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,