Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Trying to connect my TV audio to my Savant Entertainment

Customer Question

Trying to connect my TV audio to my Savant Entertainment system to play sound through speakers in house. I already have the music system set up and working. I have purchased RCA cables.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions like the model numbers of the equipment in question so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you could see my first reply 10 minutes ago but something came up and i will have to step out for 1/2 hour , just send me those model numbers and i`ll get back to you with the wiring scheme ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Savant RS232
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but it would be mostly the TV's model number I would need ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Also , that RS232 number is ***** name of a control port usually

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You said you had a RCA type cable , does that savant system have a spare rca stereo input on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Samsung UN60EH6000FYes there is a 1,2,3,4 section with Red and White RCA connections for each number.the technician who installed it stated that I needed to buy an extra RCA aubio cable to connect the TV sound to the Savant system but did not specify where it goes or how to do it
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you about the tv but the savant system is quite another ball game if you will , while I look for the TV's manual and specs take a look at the link below and see if you can recognize your system ?

Click here ; https://savantsystems.force.com/Customers/apex/SavEC_CategoryLanding?id=a3g700000008RyhAAE

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then about the tv ;

Here is a link with a picture of the back of your tv and I pointed to the audio out port to be used ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28m76de3olcu842/2015-10-14_1359.png?dl=0

And here is the type of cable you will need ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5929mvekv70qn6o/3.5_MM_to_RCA_cable.png?dl=0

That cable is a 3.5 MM phone plug to RCA stereo plugs and can be found locally at any stores that sells cables and audio equipment

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The 3.5 MM plug will go into the tv and the RCA to that savant system audio input

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the photos of the savant system. The top is the apple computer prcoesser, the bottom is the savant system and the third picture i sent is the amp for the speakers in the house
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

From the picture i cannot tell much but one thing i know is that you will need that cable to start with then connect it to one of the free inputs on the savant system and then select that input with its remote .

So i would start with the cable .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Once you got it then give me a close up of the inputs if you do not know where to plug it and we`ll take it from there ?

By the way who was that tech. you were talking about , is he the one that installed this system ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just called and he directed me as well. THank you for directing me towards the right cable bc i had purchased the wrong one
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Also note that the rating will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a cable as you described but it says it's for MP3/iPod/iPad/iPhone. It is 3.5mm and looks the same as the one in the pic. Will this work?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes it doesn`t matter just as long as it has the correct connectors , I mean you probably could use it to hang your cloths to dry as well :)

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes those are the correct connectors , that type of cables is just most often used to connect external equipment like you mentioned