Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The screen has lines at the top and the picture jumps. Do I

Customer Question

The screen has lines at the top and the picture jumps. Do I need a new tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to determine what's causing this, I need to ask you for more information.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) What is connected to the TV for sources (cable box, DVD player, etc.), and does this issue occur regardless of which source you're viewing from?
3) If you press MENU using the original TV remote, or the MENU button on the TV itself- does the MENU display normally? Or does the top of the MENU image jump as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the tv for 5 years. The lines appear and the picture jumps when the cable is disconnected. The menu jumps as well
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately if the TV's native MENU jumps as well- this does indicate a hardware failure in the TV. While it's not necessarily time for a new TV, it would require replacement of a component to fix it. The part is the LCD controller board- which processes all images before they're sent to the panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you saw my answer above? I am also typing more- so please make sure to scroll up and also down the screen to see all replies.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you choose to have this repaired at a shop, you're typically looking at $200-$250 parts and labor for this repair and can locate a shop using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if you're a DIY type and looking to fix the set yourself, then smply reply back here and let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you're going to repair this yourself, I'll need the full model number off of the back of the TV- not just the series.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.