Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Television no longer powers on

Customer Question

Television no longer powers on
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When primary supply voltages are at minus voltage levels or at zero voltage, there is either a short circuit or a defective power supply, I think it is safe to say.

Also the pattern of what you say does somewhat indicate a hard short circuit in the loads on the power supply and the subsequent shutting Off of the power in some respects as a protective measure against burning out worse.

Do you have a service manual to consult for this model of TV? they can be very useful in preventing the spending of money by mistake on parts that turn out not to be needed.

If not, I can recommend some sources (which I have no affiliation with) for such a manual for this manual, I think, upon research and if you are interested.

As for common means of locating the shorted circuit or board - looking closely at all the boards and finding any brown spots beneath components, or burnt or slightly melted components, is one approach.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have a manual.

Are you thinking the short will be on the power supply, main board, etc?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I honestly do not know. But if you go to the trouble of removing and closely examining each part component by component (and a close glance over the reverse side of each circuit board for burnt patches) you should start with the power supply (but, not end there, even if a burnt component is found.)

As for a service manual for this model... upon a search, I find (regrettably) that nobody offers a repair manual nor a service manual for this model, among my usual sources. So close inspection and other similar methods is necessary for this case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked out the back of the power supply and main board and do not see any burn marks at all.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I do not know what else to suggest, so I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts (but, not cutting off communication - I can still see and respond to any further posts to this question.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting for a response as to the best part to replace first.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. You mentioned when you hit power the first time you get a click- does the power light change?

Also, are you saying there's no response beyond hitting the button the first time (it doesn't have any effect after that)?

Additionally, I need you to disconnect the plugs going from the power board ot the Mainboard then check that 5 volt line again and tell me if it's present.

Let me know what happens and we can continue.