Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Vizio VP50, the DTV input is intermittent. All other inputs

Customer Question

Vizio VP50, the DTV input is intermittent. All other inputs work fine. If I let TV warm up and swirtch input to another input then back to DTV sometimes it works. I replace the Tuner board but it didin't help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Since you've replace the Tuner board already- have you also tried another antenna, and/or replaced any splitters/amplifiers that are in the mix?

Additionally, what is the part number of the board you replaced?

Can you also get me the full model number off of the back of the TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

In other words, does the model number end in HDTV10, HDTV10A, HDTV20, HDTV20A, etc.?

Also, the tuner board is the ONLY component in the TV that has any bearing on the DTV Input, or Input switching, so if you've replaced that board with the correct one for your set- from a reputable vendor, then we need to be looking elsewhere for the problem.

Other possible causes are a splitter, amplifier, coaxial cable, the antenna itself, or even other sources connected to the TV's HDMI ports. That is why I am asking what else you've done so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vizio Vp50 HDTV10A, original tuner board 3850-0012-0187 (5A), replacement tuner board 3850-0012-0187 (1A)Replacement tuner board would not get DTV input even when I changed inputs, I replaced original tuner board and while the "no signal" came up when i turned TV on if I let TV warm up and changed inputs i can get a DTV signal.If I try to bring up TV menu when there is no signal it won't work si I'nm guessing rather than tuning not working it's the actual input that's not working
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean here:

"Replacement tuner board would not get DTV input even when I changed inputs, I replaced original tuner board and while the "no signal" came up when i turned TV on if I let TV warm up and changed inputs i can get a DTV signal."

So the original Tuner board worked so long as you changed Inputs first?

Yet the replacement will not work until it warms up?

Additionally, this part here:

" If I try to bring up TV menu when there is no signal it won't work"

Meaning the TV's native MENU (using the Vizio remote or button on the TV itself) will not pull up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original tuner board would work if I let TV warm up and then switched inputs and then went back to DTV input. It was like it forced it to find the DTV input. Sometimes it took a number of iterations of switching inputs.The replacement tuner board wouldn't work even when I tried that process. Replacement tuner board had (1A) at end of part number so I'm guessing it's an older revision.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, since a powered HDTV antenna will inject DC into the cabling and can cause the Mainboard to lockup or glitch- again, I need to know WHAT specifically you're running for:

1) An HDTV antenna.

2) An amplifier/splitter/booster.

3) What have you replaced so far and HAVE you tried another antenna with the same results?

A really good test, is to take a cheap, brand new HDTV antenna and LOCALLY connect it right to the TV and see if the issue persists. If it does NOT- then you have excess DC entering the coaxial cable.

If it also does- then you have received a faulty replacement mainboard.

As a workaround, instead of buying mainboard after mainboard- consider an external DTV tuner box for around $35 and simply connect it to the TV's AV jacks and bypass the TV tuner altogether.

Anyhow, please check the above as it is all very important steps in troubleshooting, then let me know what you find.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a rooftop antenna. No antenna booster or amplifier. Just a standard cable splitter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave so i won't be getting your answer till tonight.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please locally test another antenna on the set. This isn't a one shot solution for an answer, we need to troubleshoot further. That's fine, reply back whenever you can please- thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally borrowed an antennae from a friend and the symptoms are still there. I already knew I could use another external tuner. I told you it worked on my media computer. It works, it's just inconvenient to wait for warm up.