Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My LG smart TV is the cause of my power tripping. I've

Customer Question

Hello, my LG smart TV is the cause of my power tripping. I've tested everything else and the TV was fine at my last house. Since moving to the new house it's been giving me this problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ready :)
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , a few questions;

Do you mean that it trips the actual house breaker ?

When its on , does it operate normally ?

No acting up like a shaky picture or sound etc. ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It trips the house safety switch? Sorry is that the same as a house breaker? When it was on at my last house it worked perfectly. No issues with sound or picture at all. I just can't get it on at all without tripping out the power
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is the same thing if you mean that you have to reset that switch into the breaker panel .

This looks like a bad short if it does it every times and does not come on at all .

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its an LG 60LN5710
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

o.k and does trip the breaker as soon as you plug in the power cord or when you try to turn it on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to turn it on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried plugging the TV directly into the wall yet. But when I put the TV to the surge protector (which I've tested on the same power point and others and works fine ) and then turn the surge protector on with the TV cable connected, it immediately trips
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then you may simply have a failing power strip , please do try it in the wall outlet directly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the power strip a surge protector?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delays in replies , somehow I do not get notified straight away when you reply .

Yes that is what I meant power strip= surge protect and that small breaker gets weak or defective at times.

How does it work plugged in the outlet directly ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , the surge protect is always nice to have for smaller equipment but most modern TV's like yours already have their built in surge protect so again you can get another surge protector that will work with this tv plugged in but I cannot see a problem or danger in having it connected directly to the wall outlet

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If that answers your questions for now please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no good. But thankyou
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You mean the tv does not come on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it's tripping it still
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was gone for a while we were bringing our other TV over to try in the same power port
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then somehow there is a serious problem with the tv internally or perhaps simply its power cord if it was working prior to moving it

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

You said that it still tripping the power surge/power bar or the house breaker ??

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

What is tripping when you plug it directly into the wall outlet ?