Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Vizio VF550M LCD TV and my Vizio remote no longer

Customer Question

I have a Vizio VF550M LCD TV and my Vizio remote no longer works with it indicating just a failed IR sensor. I can control TV using the left side manual controls but no longer with the remote. I assume it is a IR sensor that responds to the remote.
Can I order one from you and the cost? Will it include a schematic telling me where the new sensor is to replace the old one on this TV if I remove the back? I assume it's just a plug in-not hard wired. Otherwise, TV works great.
Silvio Dell'Angela
Albuquerque (###) ###-####
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, First off- we are not Vizio- this is Just Answer which is a tech support site with experts that work on all kinds of TV's.

I can help you with this problem however. Next- the IR sensor board is plug and play and located at the bottom of the screen- it's a 3" long by 1/2" wide board held in place with two screws and a plug in harness. It's the same IR sensor used in about a dozen Vizio sets and is at the link below for $15:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Vizio-Vf551-Xvt-Ir-Sensor-0171-1671-0612-3655-0012-0189/235688682

However, I noticed you mentioned the sensor right off the bat- but never mentioned if you tested the IR emitter of the remote? Have you done that yet?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't already done so- view the tip of your remote through the viewfinder of a cell phone camera or digital camera and press any of the buttons on the remote. If you see a FLASH through the viewfinder- then the remote is good and the IR sensor in the TV is bad. However if there is no flash (the IR flash is only visible through a digital camera), then the remote is bad and can be purchased at the link below for your set:

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Remote-Control-Vw46lfhdtv10a-Sv420mc/dp/B0140RAY9U

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

To access the IR sensor, remove all of the screws on the back of the TV- remove the back panel and with the TV face down- back removed, it will be located in the lower right hand corner and easily accessible.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.