Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Panasonic plasma tv won't see my tivo, thought it was the

Customer Question

Panasonic plasma tv won't see my tivo, thought it was the old tivo so bought a new one and it doesn't work either. (tested the roamio on another tv and it works) I have 4 hdmi ports and my apple tv works in all of them. i used the same hdmi cable with the tivo in all 4 ports and still doesn't see it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you.

- Can you please get me the model number off of your TV?

- Have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panasonic TC-P50GT50, No change after unplugging for 10 minutes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that, is it possible to test the Tivo box to another TV nearby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already did that and it works fine
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, while hooking Tivo to HDMI input, can you select that input on source list that appears on TV or that particular HDMI is grayed out/ disabled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can select on a source list and I've tried all 4 ports. My apple TV works in all 4 ports.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I understand, so while Tivo is connected, that HDMI input stays enable and can be selected.

It seems HDMI handshake (communication) issue between TV and Tivo and there are two options to try that might help, please go to TV Menu then Setup and find an option that says Reset/ Default Settings etc to restore TV to default settings.

If such option isn't available (TV manual is blank for menu details, sorry about it) then try to update TV firmware, click following Panasonic link and download Firmware update file along with install instructions pdf file to follow the instructions for successful firmware upgrade.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P50GT50.html

Please reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset default settings and that didn't help, checked for software updates and I have the most current software.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, it seems both things are not match with each other to communicate through HDMI connection. Have you checked the Tivo box has latest firmware update installed?

Please click following link to get to know it..

https://www.tivo.com/priority_20.4.8

If Tivo has up to date firmware then I'm afraid there is no other option except to wait when Panasonic release another firmware update that might help to resolve the issue.

If you don't like above answer/ suggestion then do not rate the answer (or give negative rating) and simply ask me to send the question to other experts to have second opinion.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you send this to someone else for a second opinion? thks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Sure, I'm opting out and this will open the question to others on website.

Please do not reply this message and wait for other experts response.

Thanks.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'm a different Tech. I've read the dialog here, and if you've already tried another HDMI cable (or several cables) between the TiVo, and the 4 ports on the Panasonic with the same results- then unfortunately Shahid is correct that there's a handshake issue between the HDMI version the TiVo uses and this particular Panasonic set. The only thing you can try on a user level is to check for TiVo updates, try different HDMI cables between the TiVo and the Panasonic, and ultimately if there's still no connection between the two, then a workaround such as using Component HD cables would need to be implemented. I'm sorry there's not a quick fix, but there are no settings/adjustments or resets that will force a device to work via HDMI on a particular TV. We run into this issue occasionally and there's not a user fix for it.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.