Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My new Westinghouse dwm40f1y1has volume problem/comes and

Customer Question

my new Westinghouse dwm40f1y1has volume problem/comes and gos/can't adjust bass or treble
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Can you please elaborate on what the volume problem is?

Also how long have you owned the TV for and when did the problem occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
volume comes on sometimes /other times no/you have to play with it /the bass and treble adjustments have no affect/1week ago
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. What are you viewing from- is it a cable box? The reason I ask is that sometimes a reboot of the box by unplugging it from power for several seconds and plugging it back in and cure this issue.

If not, and you've already tried this, then you're looking at a Mainboard issue with the set. Please disconnect the set from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 seconds and release. Then wait a full minute, plug the TV back in and press power once. Let me know if the issue is still there please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if you have the same problem please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sound is on /still no control of bass and treble
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If so then the Mainboard within the TV is the cause of the problem and would need to be replaced. This is very common with older Wetstinghouse sets and the board is commonly found for around $80 if you're looking to repair the TV yourself.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The Main board for your set can be purchased at the link below if you're comfortable removing the back of the TV. It is a plug and play board- meaning no soldering or special tools are required to replace it:

http://www.ftvparts.com/westinghouse-main-board-b13084601-board-label-tp-ms3393-p85/?gclid=CjwKEAjw7uKwBRDUlJvRo-z6rgMSJACbmSBhmXpAIUqCf7NKpEdcBM_oBsuN48p0I8erJC7tc8NaixoCjIbw_wcB

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will typically charge you $200 parts and labor to swap the mainboard and can be located at the following link:

www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than what's stated above, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?