Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Floor model tachi is about 15 - 20 yrs old. With no warning

Customer Question

Hi I'm Santa
My floor model Hitachi is about 15 - 20 yrs
old. With no warning i get no sound or picture, just Snow.
Is there any help for it
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What sources/inputs are used with the tv (cable box, satellite box, dvd, vcr, etc)?
Can you bring up the hitachi on screen setup menu at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Digital converter box, and the remote
And, yes i can bring up the menu, its fuzzy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your answer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I needed that information from you first. I'm sorry I missed you earlier, just as you are not online at all times, I was as well when you replied the next day.

If the menu is also fuzzy, that indicates an internal hardware problem, meaning a fault in the video processing components.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, which wouldn’t be surprising based on the age. This tv is easily at 2-3 times its expected service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; unfortunately repairs are simply not going to be feasible. There are no parts available for these sets any longer, and very few techs will even touch a tube tv anymore.

Assuming both could be found you'll find a typical repair to be $300+ for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

That simply isn't practical when you can get a brand new and upgraded/updated flatscreen LED tv with a fresh warranty and 4x the picture quality for the same price.

You can get a 42" tv for about $300 these days, and a 32" for as low as 200. Even larger sets aren't much more, with up to a 65" set still under $1000.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note: I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.