Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Pioneer Model PDP-R06U 50" plasma with Media Reciever.. the

Customer Question

Pioneer Model PDP-R06U 50" plasma with Media Reciever.. the Screen appears divided in two, top half is black, sometimes green, bottom seems normal. I've tried everything so far. also Note I do not have the TV remote. I use a Logitec 700 to operate the equipment..
What do you advise
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, The model number you posted is of the Media Receiver. Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the Pioneer Plasma display?

Also, is this issue apparent with multiple sources- Cable/SAT box, DVD, etc.?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the S/N FAPM012309UC also PDP-506PU/KUCXC
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks- it's a PDP-506PU. Now, I need to know the following:

Is the issue you're having apparent with multiple sources- Cable/SAT box, DVD, etc.?

If you pull up the MENU on the TV- is the top half of the MENU displaying normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is only hookup up to a Denon AVR1912 Reciever,, and computer NO CABLE NO DVD NO CD just the receiver which the computer is hooked too so basicly its just being used as a monitor and that doesn't work you can call me(###) ###-####
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call facility- and the site charges extra for that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO the top is blacken out but the bottom half seems Normal
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, here's the thing- if the top half of the TV's OWN MENU is also blacked out- then this isn't a setting or adjustment issue. The TV's MENU supersedes all connections and settings- so if the top half of the MENU is black- this indicates a failure within the Plasma display panel itself. More specifically the Sustain and Buffer boards have failed on one side (likely the Y Sus/Drivers). This requires repairs to the TV in most cases- and is on average a $400 repair on a Pioneer PDP. There is one reset you can try, and that is to disconnect the TV from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 seconds and release. Then wait a full minute, plug it back in and turn it on. If you still have the same issue then you can try leaving the TV unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes it will reset. Beyond this it will require service as indicated above- and I wish there were better news. If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just so you know my computer system got hacked and Im wondering if the TV has a bug in it or something like that
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No, the TV can't get a bug. Here's the thing- if the top half of the TV's OWN MENU is also blacked out- then this isn't a setting or adjustment issue. The TV's MENU supersedes all connections and settings- so if the top half of the MENU is black- this indicates a failure within the Plasma display panel itself. More specifically the Sustain and Buffer boards have failed on one side (likely the Y Sus/Drivers). This requires repairs to the TV in most cases- and is on average a $400 repair on a Pioneer PDP. There is one reset you can try, and that is to disconnect the TV from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 seconds and release. Then wait a full minute, plug it back in and turn it on. If you still have the same issue then you can try leaving the TV unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes it will reset. Beyond this it will require service as indicated above- and I wish there were better news. If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any Firmware or software update I can try because ive done all the unplugging thing several times before as I said in the beginning of this conversation...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Firmware won't fix this- you said the MENU is affected too correct? Pioneer also hasn't built these sets in about 10 years- so even if it was a firmware fix- there wouldn't be one available. I wasn't mincing words above- if the MENU is affected you're looking at Sustain/Buffer board failure. Are you looking to repair the set yourself by chance??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I can see the Menu (HOME MENU) and move the curser up and down and find a section says RESET to pre Factory default but when I do this it just sit still doesn't seem to do anything I thought it is weird it says pre Factory
I was just hopeful that it wasn't as serious as you have mentioned
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What I asked you above- and need to know is this- is the TOP half of the MENU also black, or does it appear normally on the top and bottom half of the screen?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You said before the top half of the MENU was black- if so this indicates a hardware failure in the TV.

If the top half of the MENU appears normally- even when the image behind it is black (at the top) then this could simply be a source/cabling issue.

Let me know as the devil's in the details with these problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try again when it first started the top half was green, and the bottom seemed normal, and after trying some resets the top sometimes goes Grey, and the bottom normal, I can only see a little bit of the HOME MENU so its difficult to manevor around it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

IF you can only see a little bit of the MENU (MENU itself supersedes ALL settings and connections) then the issue IS indeed hardware related- no settings or adjustments can fix it when the TV's MENU is also affected- that is what I've been saying from the beginning. The issue is without a doubt related to the Plasma display processing- there is no way around that I am afraid. Nothing in the TV will cause the MENU to not fully display unless there is a hardware failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok have a good night
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You as well.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com