Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a westinghouse that won't cut on. it will every now

Customer Question

I have a westinghouse that won't cut on. it will every now and then. It has the red led button on the bottom and is a 46 inche television
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also how long have you owned it for?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

can you give me the full model number of the tv, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the model number is *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

I see you had originally requested me, though another expert had begun to reply at the same time as me. Since you requested me first, I'll go ahead and follow up with you here, though you're welcome to work further with either of us.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These westinghouse tvs are built with the lowest quality parts and poor quality control (to keep the price down), so seeing a service life of just a year or two is pretty typical (you'll find this to be quite evident in reading online reviews of this and their other models).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

If by chance you've had it less than a year, then it would be covered under warranty.

Beyond the warranty period, a tv of this size/brand typically isn't worth the investment to fix, as you can buy a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty from a more reputable brand in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,