Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a vsx-59txi receiver that it appears to be dead I

Customer Question

I have a vsx-59txi receiver that it appears to be dead I can't turn on or anything but the standby light is on what can I do I checked the fuses they al seam fine
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please confirm; a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach is being considered. If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

If so, proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) on:

• • perform a user RESET;
  • • cautiously measure the voltages at the AC PRIMARY ASSY AWX8261 board:
  • - +13V @ pin 1 of IC1101; and
  • - +5.6V @ pin 3.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

A friendly reminder; voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Pioneer be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning I got a 5.62v and 16.96 and yes trying to do a diy and tried the user reset but it doesn't seem to work and I should mention some other things like that at first it wouldn't go to standby it would always be on I would have to press the power or unplug it but I wouldn't be able to do anything like the volume or change stations or any other functions except for the input I could change the input and then I opened it and checked all the fuses fans they are good just not working and I disconnected the ribbon cable from the main board to the ac primary and connected the power with it disconnected and turn me it on then I unplugged it again connected the Ribbon cable again it plugged the unit was I did that is in standby but can't do anything else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sending you the pic of the ribbon I disconnected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you find out anything with what i told you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to make sure im doing the correct key combination how do go about doing the reset?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great on the DIY! ...and thanks for the pictures.

That ribbon cable appears to be on connector CN5801. Please click HERE for the relevant schematics. Of particular interest would be if ST+5.6V is present on CN5801 pin 5. If not, please check Q1101, Q1102 & Q1103.

When attempting to turn on, any audible clicks? ...particularly from relays RY1001 & RY1002 of the speaker PCB? ...how about when just plugging in the Pioneer?

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay; power is down and running on genset.

And try HERE.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

And a review of the RESET HERE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reset dosnt work i tried it but it doesnt do anything do you think i put the divice in lock down because off what i did and if so how to take it out of lock down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i plug it now i dont hear antything before a would here the relays start doing the regular process first a click the light would blink and then another click and the light would stay still and would be able to hear static really low but i would heare something now nothing happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will check the cable for the voltage
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Doubt if it is a lock down as an error message should still be displayed if it has kicked in auto-protect mode.

Offhand, I suspect a CPU/logic circuit issue; possibly not getting correct +5 hence the above proposal of checking the ST+5.6 at pin 5 of connector CN5801.

Also relay RY1001 should click upon plugging in.

There is a resistor in the speaker PCB that affects the switching of this model. It is R1002 and should read as 7.5Ω

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked the pin i have the 5.62v and on the pin in board to what it connects i have 5.60v
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

...and the resistor R1002 please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on q1101 i have 5.6 on q1102 and q1103 no volts
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

If "...have the 5.62v...", then these switching transistors appear to be functioning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the resistor
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

SP (B) Assy (AWX8332) upright daughter board towards the rear left with the front facing you. It has Speaker B terminals and the AC inlet & outlet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cant fin it r1002
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Since it is a 10Watt resistor, then should be ceramic, a bit large and if present, would be very near the back of the AC outlet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its at 7.2
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

On the same board (and only if safely able), can you please measure the ACV of:

• • pins 1 & 2 of CN1002;
  • • pins 1 & 2 of CN1003;
  • • pins 1 & 10 of CN1101.

with the Pioneer just plugged in?

And likewise the DCV of:

• • pin 1 of CN1005; and
  • • pin 7.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you send me that board drawing to find the connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cn1005 1 16.93v and 7 0v
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course; schematics of the board or board layout?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
schematics please
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cn1002 93.5
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

CN1002 is tied to the AC inlet and expectedly should show 120VAC.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cn1003 1.21v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cn1002 120v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cn1101 93v
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Since "...cn1003 1.21v ...", then relay RY1002 is not clicking on. Check Q1002 circuit particularly if:

• • relay RY1002 is getting ST+12V;
  • • Q1002's collector/emitter is conduction;
  • • drive trigger to the base of Q1002 from pin 4 of CN1005;
  • and if its emitter is tied to a good ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it clicks wen i checked q1002
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for cold solder?

This would then make Q1002 highly suspect and would require this transistor be checked out-of-circuit. Of particular interests would be forward & reverse + gain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok lets say it would have lock out how do i take it out
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry; "... lock out how do i take it out..." ? Do you mean how to un-solder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i mean if it is in lockdown
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

If it has kicked in auto-protect mode, then the fault has to be identified & corrected before the system would allow the unit to fully turn on.