Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a vision 50" plasma and just had modules replaced

Customer Question

Hello Dan,
I have a vision 50" plasma and just had modules replaced under the heatsinks on y-sus. Still getting a scrambled set of colors running through the middle third of the screen. Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Have we worked on this set before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not on just answer.com. self diagnosis paid off for the modules but I'm a little out of my league now ☺
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK, can you get me a picture of what the TV is doing? Worth 1,000 words....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Real one? How? In words...middle third of screen has spotted/scrambled color (all)
. Outer thirds have nothing.....at least first run. Second run...just mild blue spotting on lower center section of screen.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Eh, I really need to see a picture. Do you have a digital camera? Does your cell phone take pictures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can do...how do I attach or send?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You can attach a picture directly to this thread. Somewhere on your chat page, there is a little paper clip icon... that's the attachment tool. Otherwise, you can upload the picture to any sharing site like Imgur.com, Photobucket.com, or even Facebook. Just give me a link to wherever you post it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got pic...working this out...just sec. It's off phone...pad pixelation blah ☺
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need better...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hm, I really can't tell what I'm looking at here. Can you stand back a ways so I can see the whole TV? Stand 5-10 feet in front of the TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...bigger camera probably than TV ☺ it went back to original problem of middle third being scrambled. This is pic after pressing 'menu'....
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK that's much better. Let me look at some diagrams of your TV and I'll be right back.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OK what's the actual model number on the TV? Is it a P50HDTV? The number you posted is the plasma panel #.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are correct...that is the model.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What is connected to the TV? Cable box? DVD player? Whatever you've got connected, do you get the same exact picture with all of them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently just DVD. Let me try cable again...earlier same issue with both
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is audio OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing on sound...dvd or cable input ...difficult to tell if my input selection is correct though....remoteless
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Confirmed no sound or pic on either dvd or digital selections...light visual in upper left corner of screen when held at rght angle. Dtv came through in bright green.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Who replaced parts on the Ysus? What parts? The IPMs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per visual of soldering work...ipms only. Coppell's out of carrollton, tx. Did not receive itemized invoice.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did they run any diagnostics on the rest of the board? It would definitely appear that the Ysus is the culprit, but with IPMs replaced I would wonder about the rest of the board. Fuses, transistors, etc. Were they checked? You might consider replacing the Ysus in its entirety... cheaper at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely considered. While their work has produced more picture than before, there is a light gummy residue on the upper surface. It was sent like that, and came back like that. Same type residue on underside of top flap connected to ysus but no obvious leaks or burnouts on either.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I like Coppell's. Definitely a good name if you ask most of us around here. I think they were on the right track. Suggest replacing the PCB.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They've definitely helped...no disappointment here. I'll give it a shot. TV was no cost to me so I win all the way up to the going retail ☺ ...most importantly... I love to learn. Appreciate your assistance tonight Dan!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure. Whatever the result, please do let me know. I also like learning and always keep notes on this stuff.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pass on all I learn in this...thanks again!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sure, no problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Are you good to go here? If so, please leave me a rating. There should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere. Thanks!